Hot...Water Duty

Chapter 12

“Hey chica! It’s our Water Duty time!” an enthusiastic Magnet bounced onto the end of my bed.

“Ugh, seriously? Why the hell are you so excited about it?” I pulled off my headphones and swung myself to the side of the cot. Magnet stood up and gave me a hand up. I grasped it firmly as he pulled me up towards him. I stopped an inch away from his chest. I looked up to see him gazing down at me. I noticed everyone in the tent was watching. Squid’s eyes were wide and he sat upright for once. Magnet’s firm hand was still griping mine. I shook him off and pushed past him. Zigzag threw a surprised glance at me as I walked out of the tent. I walked back in again.

“Aren’t you coming?” I asked Magnet who was still standing beside my bed, “I ain’t filing these things up myself…plus I dunno where to go.” He smiled as he followed me out the tent.

“This way chica.” His hand brushed against mine but I walked slowly so that he could go ahead of me. We ended up at a large wooden shed that had a creaking door. He opened the door and let me walk inside then shut it carefully. It was brighter inside, many little lamps hung from the ceiling. The shed was crowded with dirty canteens and I could see a hose at the far end. I walked towards it.

“Right then Magnet, lets get to work!” I tried to be enthusiastic. Magnet had already rolled over a canteen to me and undid the nozzle. “Have you done this before?”

“Yep, I accidently walked right into Mr. Sir with my dinner and it got all over him! Everyone laughed and so did I, but lets just say that it didn’t help at all.” I giggled and twisted the nozzle; water spurted out the tip of the hose and into the empty canteen.

“So everyone knows how I got here, and I know how you got here but tell me, how did the rest of the guys get in here?” I turned off the hose as the water started to dribble to the floor. Magnet stood the canteen back up and pushed and shoved it at the end of the line of empty canteens. He then rolled another one towards me. I turned on the hose.

“Well, X-Ray is here because he sold parsley and basil to drug addicts pretending it was marijuana, but someone found out and he got into a bit of trouble then he appeared here.” He leaned against the filling canteen and stared into my eyes. “Armpit beat up some guys at a cinema because they spilt popcorn on him and were being racist. I heard he knocked a guy into a coma.” I turned the hose off and Magnet stood the canteen back up.

“Wow, he must be strong!” I joked. It must all be muscle then…

“Yeah he is, never ever get into a fight with him.” He warned me as he got another canteen. “Zigzag got here cus he set fire to these science fiction magazines at school and then the fire spread to one of the school buildings!” I laughed at that.

“Why? Aliens aren’t real!”

“Yeah, but Zig has acute paranoia and he was bullied,” I stopped laughing. Oh, my poor little Ziggy. “Um, Caveman stole a pair of shoes from Clyde ‘Sweet Feet’ Livingston.”

“Oh my God, seriously? He stole Sweet Feet’s shoes!” Sweet Feet Livingston was one of my favorite baseball players.

“He did but he keeps sayin’ it wasn’t his fault…” I grunted. Of course, Stanley was not a jerk…he was a lying prick!

“Zero stole a pair of shoes from a store, I don’t know any details because he doesn’t really talk that much.”

“What is with stealing shoes? I thought girls were more interested in them not guys!” We both laughed.

“And finally Squid,” he seemed to say Squid’s name a bit harder than the rest, “he skipped school a lot and broke into homes and stuff…” I turned on the nozzle not realizing what I was doing. Water shot out of the nozzle and hit Magnet. He yelped and tried to block himself. I finally stopped daydreaming and noticed what was going on.

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry Mag! I-I really didn’t mean to do that, oh my god-“ I helped the soaking Magnet up and we both laughed. I didn’t see him take the hose and point it at me. Water spurted out and hit me right in the face. I sputtered and used my hands to try to block the water, but I still couldn’t help laughing. I was then wrestling the hose out of his hands. Water flew everywhere. It was a full-blown water fight. After a few minutes of struggling Magnet had me pinned against the wall with a hose at my face. I was going cross-eyed as I looked down my nose into the hole that was going to drench me from head to toe. We both were breathing heavily; I had a stitch from laughing so hard, and I think he did to.

“Well, well, well, chica! I think its time for payback…” He edged closer to me I threw my hands in the air and shut my eyes tight. Nothing hit my face.

“Just get it over with already!” I expected it to hit me then, but something else happened. I felt a body’s presence quite near in front of me. Something pressed against my lips. It was soft and sweet… it was lips! Oh shit! What the fuck is happening?  My eyes shot open to see Magnets closed ones. One of his hands was pressed against the wall next to my head. The other was on my arm. I pulled away from him and stared at the ground in shock. Fuckity, fuck, fuck! I was speechless. Magnet blinked a couple of times before trying to walk towards me. I backed away.

“I really didn’t mean to do that I swear! I’m sorry Ember, I’m really sorry,” He took a couple steps forward. I took a couple steps back towards the door, “It’s just that I like you…a lot.” I shook my head and bit my lip as I stared at the ground; I seriously forgot how to speak. But, somehow I managed to mutter out a few words.

“M-magnet, it’s just that…that I don’t feel the-the same way. I’m sorry…” that’s when I sprinted out of the shed and towards D-Tent. What the hell just happened there Kat? You were kissed! You haven’t been kissed since that jerk you dated six months ago…and now… now a fairly hot Spanish dude has kissed you. But you don’t like him! How awkward this will be for the next eight months! What will happen if someone finds out? What will happen if Squid finds out? You know you have feelings for him… My conscience babbled.I exploded through the flaps of the tent. The boys stared up at me.

“Was it that bad?” X-Ray joked. I almost nodded but kept my head from moving.

“Nah, not really it was just that the hose kind of went out of control and we both got soaked…nothing else!”  I flew towards my bed and lay there. I looked to the side and saw Squid staring at me. I half smiled at him as I told them all to look away as I got changed. A few seconds after, Magnet walked in. He looked at me and I rolled on my side facing away from everyone and shut my eyes, trying to block out the image of him on my lips. The lights went out and I fell into a deep sleep.