Not Alone Anymore

Chapter 15

"Four Days, four long days," The Warden was pacing above us, "And this is all you jackasses got to show for it!" The hole was now a huge maze like ditch. It was at least eight feet high by now. I plunged my shovel deeper into the dirt. In the last three days we gained X-Ray. Which wasn't much help, it was like adding another ant to an anthill. Armpit tried to trick The Warden into thinking that one of the dials from the T.V was some old object. It didn't work. It cost him next weeks shower tokens, which the guys were not happy about.

"Oh, no man!" exclaimed X-Ray.

"Man you're sleeping outside!" Squid shouted at Armpit. I just grumbled and dug. The next morning we were all called outside for a meeting. We were all too tired to talk about it so I just stood there with my eyes closed.

"Listen up," Said Mr. Sir as he rubbed his hands together. After the behavior exhibited in these past few days, The Warden and I have decided that your character buildin' be best served by returning to the original digging of individual holes." I groaned. Digging the big hole was actually easier. At some points you could just slack off and no one would notice because you were so low down. "Over to you now..." Mr. Sir said to Pendanski as he walked down the steps towards us.

"Alright! Let's go dig boys...and girl," He said as he walked by us, "Let's go! Let's go, let's go!"

It was midday, and Mr. Sir was dictating us about how water was a source of life and he was basically giving us life and blah, blah, blah. As I took a sip from my replenished 'life source' I noticed that there were mountains in the distance. The mountains had clouds above them, grey clouds. Rain. Squid, Zigzag and Stanley were looking as well.

"Don't get your hopes up!" Mr. Sir said as he filled Zero's canteen. "That storm will never make it past the mountains." I could here in his voice that he was secretly willing them on too.

"Maybe this time they will..." mumbled Stanley. I rolled my eyes and sat on the ground.

"I've got a story for you girl scouts," said Mr. Sir as he spat on the ground. "Once upon a time there was a magical place that never rained... The end!" he started to laugh.

"I don't get it?" Squid said to Zigzag. Zig shrugged his shoulders. I rolled my eyes and crawled back to my hole.

"Have a nice day." Mr. Sir chuckled as he got back into his car.

"I'll never get a thing he says..." Squid shook his head and walked back to his hole. The truck drove off.

"Hey guys!" said Magnet reaching down into his hole. "Anyone want any sunflower seeds?" We all laughed and whooped as he passed the bag around. "I can't help it man, my hands are like magnets!" Zigzag tossed the bag to me and I grabbed a handful and put them in my mouth. The truck was still in the distance. It turned around and came back towards us.

"It's coming back!" I shouted and tossed the bag at Stanley. "Catch it!" Stanley wasn't paying any attention and the bag's contents spilt at his feet.

"Oh Stanley! You butter fingers!" Zigzag joked. Stanley scrambled on the dirt trying to hide the seeds. He then grabbed his shovel and shoveled dirt back into his hole. As soon as the truck skidded to a halt, Stanley lay down on the patch containing the seeds. We all tried to act normal. Shoveling dirt. Mr. Sir jumped out of the car and stared at us. I avoided his gaze and smiled at the ground. Stanley is screwed! Mr. Sir came to each of us and looked into our holes. He then walked over to Stanley who was nervously fiddling with his jumpsuit.

"Well, well," Mr. Sir gazed down into Stanley's hole, "how did this get here?"

"What?" Stanley asked. Mr. Sir crouched like a frog and pointed into his hole. I looked over his shoulder to see the corner of the bag sticking out of the dirt.

"How did this get here? Did it fall from the sky? Huh?" Mr. Sir's eyes were wide with craze.

"No..." Stanley said softly as he bent over and pulled the bag out of the dirt. Mr. Sir spat on the ground. Stanley looked at Magnet. Magnet's eyes were pleading. "I-I stole it from your truck..." Stanley handed the bag to Mr. Sir.

"I think The Warden would like to see what you've found." Mr. Sir motioned for Stanley to follow him. Oh, Stanley is so in for it! I laughed to myself. As they drove away, Magnet looked depressed.

"Man, he is so gonna give me away..." He said.

"Don't worry, he won't." I was regretting saying that but I haven't talked to him straight in the face in five days and I guessed he needed at least some comfort. He looked at me for a second then turned and continued digging. In the corner of my eye I saw Zero's afro disappear into Stanley's hole.

I was just finishing my hole as Stanley walk towards us. He didn't look that upset just slightly confused.

"Look who's showed up!" Said Zigzag as he shoveled another pile of dirt.

"Man, we thought you were dead for sure." Squid shouted to him. I hoped you were dead. I thought.

"Hey Caveman, what did you say?" asked Magnet. He was still scared.

"Nothing." Stanley replied.

"What did she do to you?" asked X-Ray.

"Nothing." Stanley said again. "No, she didn't do nothing." He walked back over to his hole. "What's this?" The hole was dug perfectly. Five foot wide and five foot deep. "Thanks guys!"

"Don't look at us, it was Zero." I said to him. He looked at me then at Zero. "That boy likes to dig holes..." Stanley walked over Zero's hole, which was next to mine. I listened into their conversation.

"Hey Zero, why'd you dig my hole man?"

"You didn't steal the sunflowers."

"But, neither did you."

"You didn't steal the shoes." I was confused. I think Stanley was too.

"Still wanna learn how to read?" Stanley asked. I was about to say something but I kept my mouth shut. Zero nodded. Stanley offered his hand and Zero high fived it. I looked at Squid, he was next to Zero's hole and I think he heard their conversation too. He shrugged, chewed on his toothpick a bit, and continued to dig. I hopped out of my hole and headed towards camp. As I did I heard noise coming from inside The Warden's cabin. I peeked through the window. The Warden was yelling at Pendanski and Mr. Sir.

"A girl you dumb asses? A girl?" The Warden screamed. There was a kind of smack, like she had smacked either Pendanski or Mr. Sir, but I couldn't tell. "What if the boys rape her or if she causes trouble? Girls are smarter than boys, you know." I heard something hit the wall and an aggravated scream followed that.

"But there's already a girl here! Surely one more won't hurt?" said Mr. Sir. There was another whack and a soft whimpering.

"She's tough I'm not that worried about her. I heard that she almost beat the crap outta Caveman, so I don't need to worry." I felt very proud at that moment. "Also she could be quite useful..." Useful at what? I wondered.

"Listen, Lou, we tried to explain to the Judge the possible risks of a girl getting sent here, but he just said that Camp Waterfield was still filled up." I heard Pendanski say. There was another smack and something cracked against the wall. "There's no need to be hostile about it... the boys may need to see a girl every now and then." I heard another smack and then another aggravated scream.

"There's nothing we can do about it, so, why don't we forget about it." There was yet another smack and a groan as the Warden yelled.

"Get out of my cabin you stupid buffoons!" I ran to the tent after that, not wanting to be anywhere near the wrath of Pendanski and Mr. Sir, because they looked about ready to have steam coming out of their ears like in the movies. I sat on the edge of my bed and took in what just happened. A girl! Yes! I won't be the only one now! I wonder what she looks like... I started imagining a really tall tough girl with bright blue hair. That would be cool. I fumbled under my pillow for my iPod. Then I remembered it was out of battery. I knelt on the ground and pulled out the cardboard box. I searched through lots of packets of chips and chocolate wrappers but finally found the white charger. I shoved my iPod and charger into my pocket and walked out of the tent and into the Wreck Room.