Acute Paranoia and Rap Music

Chapter 14

All the juveniles of Camp Green Lake have been working with us. I’ve run into Lump at least eleven times in the space of two hours, and always he seems to snarl at me or do inappropriate things. But, at least I’ve had Squid, Zigzag, and the rest of D-Tent protect me. They seemed to form a circle around me as we were digging and shoveling the dirt into the wheelbarrows. They were very protective over their girl. I still tried to avoid Magnets gaze, I really couldn’t get over what happened that night. Dust was heavy in the air, I had to squint or else it would get into my eyes. The hole was now a large figure of eight. I dug my shovel deep into its side. Scooping some sand out I dumped it into a bucket and Zigzag picked it up, carrying it away to a wheelbarrow. Then The Warden would shove her pitchfork into it sifting, checking if there was anything inside. I felt this was stupid. The hole the tube was found in was Stanley’s hole, which was at least two holes down for this. We were digging with out purpose. Mr. Sir kept encouraging us by screaming.

“Keep it up!” or “I’m feeling some double shower tokens boys…and girl!” They always had to remember I was there too. At the end of the day we all walked back to camp, past some boys who were hosing down the Chrysler. That’s how it’s so clean, slave labor!

“How’d she know my name man?” Stanley asked.

“And mine too?” I piped up.

“Oh she’s got the whole place wired.” Said Squid in a spooky voice. I laughed but was kinda freaked out…     

“Oh yeah, she’s got these tiny little cameras and microphones all over the place,” Zigzag said as he threw his shovel into the shovel pile. We all did the same, “Heard she’s got’em in the Wreck Room, got’em in the tent…she’s got’em in the showers…” Zigzag looked around nervously, but I don’t blame him. If that was all true, The Warden is one scary piece of shit! But it reminded me of a song…

Every breath you take, every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I’ll be watching you!” I sung the classic song by The Police. The boys laughed except Zigzag and Stanley. 

“Their not in the showers!” exclaimed Stanley, but it was obvious he believed everything. Squid put a hand in front of Zigzag.

“Hey, hey don’t listen to him,” he reassured Stanley, “I read his file, he suffers from, um…acute paranoia.” Zigzag looked ashamed. I walked next to him and put my arm over his shoulders. He smiled at me, nobody seemed to care. We were friends anyways, so what did it matter?

“I heard she watches me everyday!” Magnet smirked.

“Man she’s got cameras and microphones, not microscopes!” Armpit said. We all laughed exhaustedly.  When we got back to tent X-Ray bounced up to us.

“So, how were you hard workers today?” he asked in a cheery voice. I gave him the finger and collapsed onto my bed. I then noticed it wasn’t my bed but Zigzag’s bed but I was too tired to move. Zig collapsed next to me, but I didn’t care; he was my friend.

“Hey Squid, can you pass me my iPod? It’s under my pillow.” I looked up at him. He was lying on his back with his eyes closed. He stuck out his arm and shoved his hand under my pillow, all done with his eyes closed. He flung it at me and I caught it. I unwrapped my headphones from around it and offered one to Zigzag. He looked at it for a minute then nodded and stuck it into his ear. I did the same and pressed the small button on the top, the screen instantly turned on. I scrolled through the playlists and tapped the one-titled ‘Kat’s favorites’. I then looked through the songs. I found one of my favorites. A great tune with jumpy beats that made people want to get up at shake it! I practically knew all the words. I tapped on it and the song filled my ears. Zigzag nodded his head; I guess he liked the song too. I started to shrug my shoulders and moved my hands around to look like I was doing a little dance as I rapped the words. He laughed at me and joined in.

“What the hell are you guys doing?” Armpit asked. We stopped and burst out laughing.

“We’re listening to pretty good music!” said Zig.

“Let’s hear it then… we all might as well be entertained!” muttered Squid. I stared as he took of his hat and scarf and shook out his tick brown hair. Then I came back to my senses and unplugged the headphones and the music blared out from the tiny blue square. It was quite loud for a tiny thing so I quickly turned it down a bit. You know, just in case the Creepy Cowboy came in. It was just starting my favorite bit, the part when the girl rapper raps. I rapped along.

“How do you know all the words? It goes real fast!” exclaimed Magnet.

“Well I listen to it a lot, but I seem to have a good memory…” I bounced up and down on the bed as a serious of beats rang through the air. Squid was tapping his foot. X-Ray was drumming his fingers in time. “Is it good?”

“Yeah! I think I’ve heard this from somewhere…” said Zigzag.

“I know! It was on the radio for like two seconds then Caveman knocked it over when he attacked Lump.” Said Armpit. I looked at Stanley in amazement. That thing attacked the Lump? That’s and achievement ha-ha.

“I didn’t attack him! I slipped okay?” Of course he did! That asshole couldn’t attack the Lump; he’s too much of a coward.

“Yeah, yeah whatever Caveman…” mumbled Zigzag. After a few songs my iPod ran out of power making a bell noise as it died. I sighed.

“Is there any place here to charge this thing?” I asked.

“You can try The Wreck Room; I think there’s a plug there that you could use.” Said Squid. The dinner bell rang.