Attack of Th'Lump

Chapter 23

     “That was awesome!’ I said, sitting down on my bed as the others filed in. Charlie was looking out anxiously.

“He’s going to die out there…” she murmured. She was as worried as Stanley was. He had gone to go find The Warden and the other councilors to see if they could get him back. I tried not to show it, but I did feel a bit worried for little Zero.

‘You, know what” I said to Charlie. “ Lets go for a four minute showers, it’ll get your mind off it.”

“Good idea…my hair is so greasy.” She brushed her fingers through her hair and pulled a face. Zigzag was staring at her from his bed. She reached into her box and pulled out her blue striped bikini. I got my black one out and told the boys not to look. We had done this before and we were lucky we both thought there was a Lake at Camp Green Lake. We left the tent and walked to the showers wrapped in our towels, discussing what Zero would be doing. The water was cool and refreshing. I scrubbed shampoo into my hair. It turned off. One minute gone. I scrubbed my body too then turned the shower back on. Three minutes of bliss.

“Charlie?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m done I’ll see you back in camp.” I said as I dried myself.

“Wait no! Wait for me!” I had already left her and whistled merrily as I walked back. Things were kinda going my way, even though one of my better friends has run away and I still have to dig holes. But friends surrounded me here. They probably aren’t the best people in the whole wide world but they were the nicest people I’ve ever met. The dirt stuck to my bare feet as I skipped pondering my thoughts.

 "So, I heard you're with Squid now." A voice said from behind me as I passed the Mess Hall. It was sundown, and getting quite dark. I wasn’t that scared that a creepy deep voice that I knew was behind me…Okay I was scared.

"What's it to ya?" I turned around; ThLump was about three feet behind me. I remembered X-Ray’s warning and looked for D-Tent. It seemed a long way away. I pulled my towel up high with my hands. He grinned and took a step towards me. I took a step back. It continued like that until I realized he backed me up against the side of the Mess Hall.

"Oh, I just thought you and me would make a much better couple." He responded. I heard a shriek and then two figures dragging a screaming one towards us. It was Buck and Sam. That's when I realized whom it was that they were dragging. Charlie. She was struggling to keep the towel around her and was screaming like a banshee until Sam covered her mouth with his hand.

What the fuck? Let her go!” I kneed ThLump in the crotch, causing him to stumble and fall to the ground. I tried to run over to Charlie but Buck pushed me back roughly. Charlie struggled against Sam, trying to pull away. I scrambled to my feet but I felt someone grab my ankle. I was pulled back to the ground. ThLump dragged me up then, he hit me. Right across the face. He had me against the wall. His hand was over my mouth, and, I knew just what he was going to do. He was going to… then; Charlie broke free and screamed the first thing that she could think of.

“Zigzag! Squid! Anyone! HELP!” Then Sam got a hold of her again. Her towel dropped and she tried to fight in only her bikini. ThLump reached for my towel but somebody grabbed his shoulders and pulled him back, pushed him on the ground, and started punching him and kicking him. I saw Zigzag take on Buck and Sam. They were sprawled on the floor by the time he was done with them. Zigzag picked up Charlie’s towel and covered her, wrapping his arms around her. She was shivering and freaking out. I then noticed that Squid was beating the hell outta ThLump.

"What the hell do you think you were doing with my girlfriend?" Squid was throwing a punch in every syllable. ThLump was whimpering on the ground.

"Squid, you're going to get into trouble. Stop, Squid!"  I said and he did. He spat on ThLump and walked me back to the tent, looking at my face. That's when I felt the blood dripping from my nose into my lips. The sour copper taste infected my tongue. I wiped it away. Squid was livid.

"He… that bastard hit you? Oh, he's going to…" Squid growled. He was about to storm off towards ThLump again but I cut him off and grabbed his arm.

"Squid, no. Not tonight. You'll get into trouble." I used the corner of my towel to dab my nose. I also made sure it wasn’t broken. "And I'm usually on the thumbs up team of getting in trouble." We walked through the flaps of the tent to see the boys surrounding a slightly sobbing shaky Charlie.

"Here, let me help." He took the corner and wiped the blood. He told me to tip my head back… he said that's what the school nurse told him to do if he got a nosebleed. I always thought it was head forward.

"Hey, what happened?" X-Ray asked, turning away from the group. “We can’t get a word outta Smarts, she’s really creeped out. Can you tell us.” I noticed he wasn’t asking a question. I guess he saw my bleeding nose. 

"ThLump. He tried to rape me after I left the showers. I had left Charlie there, but I guess Buck and Sam attacked her. He had me backed against the wall, I tried to escape but he hit me, and Charlie broke free and shouted. Then Squid and Zigzag came outta nowhere. Zigzag took down Buck and Sam! Squid came along, and beat the shit out of ThLump! I got a pretty damn bad nosebleed from the punch though." I noticed I was still in my bikini, so, I told the others to either turn around or get lost. I quickly slipped off my top and bottom, put on my undergarments, along with my pajamas… and combed my hair after I told them to turn around. Zigzag was still sitting next to Charlie. His facial expression was confused but worried at the same time, I think he was thinking if he should put his arm around her. I told him to leave for a second so she could get dressed. She stiffly got into her pajamas and lay curled on her bed, getting into the covers.

“That was one of the freakin’ scariest things of my life!” she announced. I sat next to her and patted her head.

“Yeah that was something… but just think it won’t happen again!” I leaned in and whispered in her ear, “Because Zigzag is keeping his eye on you.”

“Oh, bugger off!” she giggled. I joined in and got a raised eyebrow from Zigzag behind his old TV Guide.

"Hey Squid, thanks." I stood up and kissed him. I couldn't hear anything around us. It was just me and him.

"Guys, it's time for bed. I would suggest stopping." X-Ray said, tapping me on the back.

"Alright, alright. Well, night everyone." And the last thing I felt was a kiss on the cheek from my boyfriend, Squid.