Escape Plan

Chapter 32

Morning came before we knew it. I got at least an hour sleep that’s it. But, the great thing was that I was back with Squid, and Zigzag had finally been able to get Charlie. Though they were the most awkward of couples. The bad thing was that the next day went exactly as The Warden planned it. So far. A screaming Pendanski and the other tent councilors filing delinquents into the Mess Hall waked us. He didn’t even throw a sideways glance at us as he came beaming into our tent. Pendanski shouted us to get a move on and come outside. I groaned and sat upright stretching my arms. I had fallen asleep in Squid’s bed, both of us curled in together. I looked and saw Charlie still passed out on the floor with one arm and her head lolled next to Zigzag’s on his bed. Then I remembered the whole of last night. I quickly shoved Charlie’s leg and shook Zigzag’s arm. They both shot up at once, Zig cried out in pain and looked back down at his shoulder.  He freaked out this time grasping at the white bandage. He tried to move his shoulder but I guess the pain shot up him. I nudged Squid who looked up at me with dazed eyes and smiled. The smile faded when he heard the shouts from outside. Charlie and I quickly jumped into out orange jumpsuits and flipped open the covers of the tent.  It was almost like a sea of orange. The boys of Camp Green Lake were all scrambling into the Mess Hall all at once. The most shocking thing was that they were completely and utterly silent. All you could here was the shuffling of boots in the desert dirt. ‘Tell them that if they don’t make a peep or talk to these guys they won’t have to dig any more holes. Got it?’ I momentarily had a flash back. I grabbed Charlie by the arm and pulled her back inside.

“Do you remember bout last night?” I asked her.

“Course I do…and I know I’m going to beat the shit out of Mr. Sir if I see him again!” She growled.

“No, don’t be stupid though I would love to too but we have to go to the Mess Hall, maybe we could find out what happened to Stanley, Zero and the treasure.” I thought.

“We need to tell someone about what happened! It’s sure to be illegal, right?” She asked, “ I mean, look at Zigzag! X-Ray had to use his own fingers to get that bullet out!”

“I’m fine…” Zigzag said faintly as he tried to stand. Charlie rushed over and helped him up.

“Dude, I’ve got your blood still on my hands. You’re gonna be a bit drowsy for a day or two.” X-Ray said wiping his hands on the tent walls.

“No one will care about what happened.” Magnet said sullenly.

“Yeah man, the councilors just wanna get paid and the other guys don’t want to dig holes no more.” Armpit added on as he joined us standing.

“It’s useless then.” I sighed. “Well, lets hope that that lady that Pendanski told Stanley about, you know to free him and all that, shuts this place down…” And then we all walked out into the crowd. We were shoved and pushed in silence towards the flapping doors of the Mess Hall. As we got in we were greeted with flickering eyes and some gasps. I guess they saw Zigzag and Charlie. Zigzag groaned and tried to shuffle him self away from the staring boys but Charlie helped him all the way to our usual table. The eyes followed all the way. Then the room filled with whispers. The councilors didn’t mind the shushed conversations, Armpit was right. They really didn’t give a flying monkey about us. It was all bout the money, I think they pay people lots to look after teens like us. Some of the boys came over and asked what happened nicely. Well as nice as nice gets in this place. Others were just being a pain in the ass. There was this one guy that didn’t leave Zigzag alone. He was quite small with slick black hair and a huge grin on is face, almost exactly like Twitch although this guy looked eviler.

“Hiya, Ziggy!” he said, not caring about how his voice was so loud. Zig didn’t look at him. I knew by the first word outta his mouth that he was going to be annoying. “What happened to you? Did yah fall or something? Running away from those aliens again aren’t cha?” he sneered trying to choke back a laugh. The boys behind him sniggered; they were probably the losers in his tent. Zigzag growled and then leapt towards the boy, swinging his fist, the boy yelped at jumped back. Zig suddenly shuddered as a ripple of pain soared through his body. Stopping in mid stand, he collapsed back onto the bench glaring. The black haired boy recovered from almost getting pulverized and took a step closer. He was about to throw a punch at Zigzag’s head but X stopped him.

“Dude, I suggest you stop. Zig may be damaged but I bet he could kill yah in a fight. You don’t want another scar, do you, Easy?” X-Ray said. Easy pouted for a second then went back to grinning. He held up his hand. There was a round scar dotted with numbers…I swore I saw that before.

“Oh you mean this lil’ thing? It didn’t hurt a bit! Zigzag here just can’t get over that there is absolutely nothing on T.V.” Zigzag almost got up again but Charlie and Squid stopped him. Easy smiled. “See you ‘round then psycho and psycho’s friends!” He sauntered back to his table with his gang on the other side of the Mess Hall. They burst out laughing as soon as they sat down. The councilors didn’t even twitch. Pathetic. I said that out loud.

“Tell me about it… those gay-lords are such pains.” Squid rolled his eyes. Zigzag’s eyes flicked about, scanning around the Mess Hall, rolling from side to side. I wondered if he was thinking about the aliens Easy mentioned, or if he was claustrophobic…it was quite dark and all the bodies made it feel like the walls were closing in on us.

“We need to get out of here.” Zig said out of the blue. Magnet nodded in agreement.

“I hear yah… I wonder if I could break us out.” Armpit said.

“Nah, too risky. We have to be subtle.” I pointed out.

“How bout we sneak out one at a time?” Charlie suggested. “Then I could cut the power and then put on lockdown and trap them in here!” She was kinda getting ahead of herself.

  “Erm, No. But, I do like the idea of sneaking’ out.” I said whilst yawning. “It’s getting real boring in here…”

“Right then, I gotta plan. It’s real simple.” X-Ray said as he leaned in closer to us. “Here’s what’s gonna happen…” He explained to us in a hushed tone how one of us would go out and check if the coast was clear then one by one we would sneak out quietly and run for it, trying to find out what was done with Stanley and Zero. It sounds like the shittiest plan in the world, but those councilors are so retarded they probably won’t notice a thing. Squid volunteered to go out first. As the hall got restless and the councilors started to pay attention to the other boys at the far end Squid got up. He brushed a kiss on my cheek and put on the yellow baseball cap (with out the rag, it was used this morning to tighten Zigzag’s bandage.)

“Wish me luck!” He whispered.

“You’ll be fine, I bet you can handle this big hard job.” I giggled. He winked and ducked to the ground and pretended to ninja roll towards the door. I clasped my hand over my mouth trying not to laugh. He then got to the door and I looked away as his white t-shirt disappeared out of my sight. Just in case one of the councilors looked over his shoulder to see me staring. As I heard the door shut silently I relaxed. Suddenly, it slammed back open, which made me almost jump off the bench. I swiveled around to see an excited Squid beaming at us all.

“They’re alive!”