Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Devon

The phone rang loudly, cutting through the silence of the office, and startling Devon from his state of almost sleep. He wasn't actually napping, he was simply 'resting his eyes'. That was his answer, which made him laugh at his own thoughts. That was what his father used to always say when he and Ramone found him sleeping. He'd grumble at the boys and mutter 'not sleep, resting my eyes, when you boys grown up and get real jobs you'll see'.

Devon rubbed his eyes and yawned, before reaching over and grabbing the phone. "Y'ello" he sung into the receiver.

"Devon, hey it's Chris" came the chipper reply.

"Hey, man, what's up?"

"Got a girl who crossed the border here without realising it" Chris informed him.

"Well just turn her around and point her the way out" Devon replied.

"Yeah...I maybe imagining things, but something ain't right with this girl. She claims to have no idea there was a Pack around here, and when I mentioned you and Ramone she still had no idea which Pack I was on about".

"Odd" the Commander agreed, taking a pen from his desk and swirling it around his finger. "You think she's up to no good?"

Chris considered that for a moment, "not sure. Somethings not right but can't say for sure what. Should I bring her in?"

"Sure. I'm in the office now so just bring her straight to me" Devon agreed. They said a few more words before he hung up the phone. Just as he put the receiver back, his computer chimed with a video call.

Devon pushed his chair over slightly so he was in view of the camera before answering. He smiled as his identical twin brother popped up on screen. Ramone was the mirror image of his brother – skin tone that was somewhere between midnight dark and milk chocolate, a blackish brown blend of colour that was of set by golden brown eyes and short black hair.

Ramone and Devon shared a smile, both of their teeth glistening as they looked at their best friends. "You been sleeping on the job?" Ramone teased him.

Devon snorted, "I was resting my eyes". The brothers laughed together as they thought of their late father fondly. "How's Seth and May?" he continued, meaning their Alpha and Luna – who divided their attention between Black Bloods and their other Pack Equinox.

"They're good, we're just finalising the new treaties and stuff. So, I'll hopefully be home by Wednesday" Ramone replied.

"Well no need to rush back, I'm sort of enjoying being the only Commander around here".

Ramone snorted unattractively, "oh please, you couldn't last another week without me. You'd phone me up, sobbing for me to come home".

"Nah, you crazy" Devon laughed. The brothers said a few more words to each other, before they disconnected the call. Devon was in a better mood after talking to his brother, perhaps that was because Ramone was always the more positive brother.

A knock came on the door a few minutes later. "Yeah" Devon shouted out casually, assuming it was Chris with the stray She-Wolf. And, he was right. The door opened and Chris slipped inside, leaving the girl outside in the corridor for a moment. Chris looked at his leader for a moment, making Devon raise an eyebrow; "what's up?"

"I don't trust this girl, Dev" Chris frowned, "something ain't right about her".

"She caused you any trouble yet?" Devon frowned, leaning back in his seat slightly.

"No...but there is something that I can't put my finger on. I just get bad vibes from her...she has a weird scent and she's acting weird". Chris paused and shook his head at himself. "Sorry, I probably acting like a paranoid bitch. It's probably just because she's British, got different rules over there and they smell different or something".

"She's British?" Devon frowned, making Chris nod at him. "Then that's weirder. Any Wolf coming from a different country needs sponsor from one of the Alphas in the country. And no Alpha told me that a we'd be getting a stray crossing the border".

"Like I said, something stinks of bullshit" Chris shrugged.

"Let's just see. Send her in" Devon nodded, waving dismissively towards the door.

"Sure thing boss" he smiled back, before heading out the office and sending the She-Wolf in. Devon glanced down at his phone, flicking it off so that the calls went through the admin office downstairs, before he turned to face the newcomer.

The She-Wolf walked cautiously into the room, straightening her dress as her large heels clicked on the wooden floor. Devon looked up and her, blinked, swallowed and the then blinked some more.

She was beautiful – in the classic sense of the word. She had creamy smooth skin, which stood out against her shining dark hair. Her eyes were a bright silver-ish blue that were so bright they were almost haunting, and when combined with her prominent cheek bones gave her a striking almost regal look to her. Her long pale legs held her a little taller than the average girl, with a muscled body with perfectly developed curves that gave her a sensual edge.

Devon opened his mouth to say that word, that word that every Werewolf dreamt of saying. Mate. Because she was his mate. But the word got stuck in his throat and nothing came out. Internally he was screaming at himself to scream it from the rooftops so that everyone knew that this girl was his mate and they better not touch her. She was his and no one better even think of her in a way he didn't like.

"I-I-I" the girl stuttered out at him, snapping him from his staring and silence. The girl took a deep breath, as if cussing herself for her stuttering, before trying again. "I-I don't understand what is happening" she finally said. Devon liked her accent too – British but with an American twang on some words.

"Mate" Devon finally choked out, getting to his feet – his chair scraping as he pushed it back. The girl just looked at him blankly. "What is your name?" he finally asked.

"Tabitha" she replied as he moved around the desk to beside her. She blinked up at him with doe eyes. "But everyone calls me Tabby".

Devon smirked, "like a tabby cat". He reached out and brushed a loose strand of her hair behind her ear, but she jerked back the moment his finger came in contact with her skin. She was warm and electricity buzzed through him at the touch, before she pulled away, making him frown in annoyance. "I'm not going to hurt you, Tabby".

"You're not?" she asked, eyeing him suspiciously.

Her gave a weird look, "of course not you're my mate".

"Y-Y-Your mate?" she questioned, stuttering again making Devon realise it was likely not just her nervousness. Devon watched her for a few seconds.

"You know what a mate is, right Tabby?"

She looked up at him, bewitching him with her beauty. "I'm not sure I know anything anymore".