Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

Tabitha

Everyone was talking around me, but I couldn't hear anything but the ringing in my head. My entire body hurt. No...not just my body, but my soul as well. Every part of me was aching and painful and cold. I was so cold, so utterly cold and alone. All I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and—

"Hey" a soft voice said to my left. I jolted out of my dangerously depressive thoughts and turned to the source of the voice. Devon slipped his hand onto my shoulder, as he took a seat next to me. Both of us were sitting in the Pack hospital waiting room, as Mabel was having her baby. Seth was with her now; we could have gone home. But, I was worried if I went home, where everything still smelt and reminded me of him, that I may never leave the house again.

Devon looked tired and pained. His eyes were almost as bloodshot as mine and his shoulders were tight with obvious stress. "You want some coffee? I got it but I don't want it" I muttered, handing him the polystyrene cup from my hand.

My mate smiled sadly and took it. He took a small sip before pulling back his face in disgust. "What?" I asked.

"Cold" he muttered.

"Oh...I must have been sat here longer than I realised". I glanced at the clock to notice that it had been almost an hour since I'd brought the coffee and not drank it. Devon got up and threw the cup away before coming back to sit next to me. He threw his arm over my shoulder and I curled up into his side, pressing as tightly into him as possible.

Neither of us said anything for a few minutes, just tried to take solace in the others presence. It was me who finally broke the silence between us. "It doesn't feel real".

Devon nodded, "like a nightmare that we can't wake up from. It's like he's going to walk into the room any minute and ask us what we're so sad about".

I inhaled deeply, swallowing a loud sob that caught in my throat. "The last thing I said to him was that I loved him".

"Good, I'm glad" he nodded. "The last thing I said to him was that I would see him later...but I'm never going to see him later".

"Maybe you will" I admitted, turning to face Devon. His eyes were hooded, as he tried to keep his composure. I cupped his cheek and ran the pad of my thumb over his soft skin. "I don't know what happens after we die, I don't know if I even believe in God, but I know that one day you'll see him again".

"You don't think we'll both see him again?"

"I hope so, because the idea of never getting to see him or speak to him again is killing me". I took a long breath, trying not to break down completely. "But I know for a fact you'll see him again. I can feel it in my bone as fact. You share a soul, your grandmother told you as much, so I believe you too will be reunited someday".

"I'd love for that to be true". A single tear ran from his eye. I brushed it away with my thumb, before gentle kissing his lips – our foreheads resting together as we shared our strength. "This is going to be hard for us" Devon said after a moment.

"I don't know if I can do it...go on without him. Every part of me is screaming that nothing is worth continuing for" I admitted.

"Ramone wouldn't want that".

"I know".

"If he was here, he'd be lecturing us on the importance of looking after each other and having a good life ahead of us. So, we have to make him proud...we have to".

"I love you" I whispered to him, as the tears began streaming down my face once more. I tucked my face into neck as I cried.

"I love you too, Tabby Cat".