me

5 | five

as chan worked more with yeseul, he realised how close they became.

he had been a reserved person ever since his father left him after his mother fell sick, and he despised opening up to others. having to take on responsibilities of an adult as a teenager made him feel alone.

however, finding people like himself was a different experience. they never mentioned it, but it was obvious; both he and yeseul were poor. neither of them had enough money to support themselves, let alone their family.

however, they now had someone to talk about their hardships with, someone who could understand. having no money was a different level of sadness; isolation; stress; struggle.

and yet, chan started feeling better about himself.

"do you pay taxes?" he asked as he wrote on a piece of paper, making yeseul scoff.

"i don't even have south korean citizenship."

chan chuckled. "so technically you don't exist?"

"hey!" she frowned, peering over his shoulder. "wait, what are you writing?"

"my will," he responded, making yeseul pause.

"but you're so young! why are you— hey, is that my name?"

chan quickly covered his papers. "it's bad luck to read someone's will!"

"says who?" yeseul retorted, leaning back and smiling. "am i in your will?"

"no," chan scoffed, making the girl grin to herself.

"whatever you say."