you

8 | eight

chan and yeseul were happy.

they suffered poverty, lacked basic human living standards, and were forgotten by the world, but they were happy.

the two lay side-by-side next to bukhan river under the starry night. it was quiet; the world was sleeping, and the stars shone just for the two friends... and jiseul, who ran around a tree.

"imagine if we just jumped into the river," yeseul said. "it would be cold, but so peaceful, don't you think?"

"i think it's a great way to die," chan responded, earning a whack in response.

"hey!" he exclaimed, rubbing his arm. "i mean, imagine how nice it would be to silence your thoughts for once. to not listen to or worry about the dumb problems like not having money."

"you're not wrong," yeseul shrugged, before sighing. "you know, i'm glad i met you. if i didn't have you, i would realise how lonely i am."

"well, i never thought i'd meet someone like you," he confessed. "i guess you helped me open up."

yeseul smiled, and the two lay in a comfortable silence. chan bit his lip before speaking again.

"also, i think i like you."

yeseul looked at him. "you what?"

the pale boy's face suddenly regained colour, and he turned away from her. "n-nothing."

yeseul laughed. "chan?"

"huh?"

she turned him around and held his hand. "i like you too."