10 | angel on fire

▕▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔▏ANGEL ON FIRE▕▁▁▁▁▁▁▵▁▁▁▁▁▁▏

▕▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔▏
ANGEL ON FIRE
▕▁▁▁▁▁▁▵▁▁▁▁▁▁▏

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚

THE AUDIENCE IS A wreck by the time it's Katniss' turn. Undone by the previous tributes' emotionally exaggerated speeches, they're barely able to hold themselves together enough to let her speak without getting interrupted by a wailing Capitol resident.

"So, Katniss," Caeser slips in before another person can start screaming, "obviously, this is a very emotional night for everyone. Is there anything you'd like to say?"

"Only that I'm so sorry you won't get to be at my wedding..." she says somberly, "but I'm glad you at least get to see me in my dress. Isn't it just... the most beautiful thing?"

Katniss begins to twirl. Ontari braces herself, because the last time she spun onstage, her dress caught fire. She's not that shocked to see flames licking the bottom again. She'd have thought that Cinna would have done something different this year. However, she changes her mind once the fire travels higher up the gown, leaving the fabric charred as the acrid scent of smoke wafts upward to the tribute stands.

Ontari turns to Cassian, mouthing, "Is that supposed happen?"

He shrugs, eyebrows drawn in as he watches her intently with his hazel eyes filled with confusion. By the time Ontari looks back at the girl, she's covered in a gray haze and the entirety of her beautiful white gown is now burned black. Katniss tentatively lowers her arms. Ontari leans forward, her mouth nearly dropping open in surprise at the sight of wings spreading out with her movements.

"Feathers," Caesar marvels in a small whisper as he examines the dress. "You're like a bird."

"A mockingjay, I think," Katniss says as she gives her wings a small flap. She, herself, appears mystified. "It's the bird on the pin I wear as a token."

A newer, more intense wave of nausea floods Ontari's stomach. Her eyes find Cinna in the crowd. He looks pleased with himself, nearly black eyes shining with pride, but there is no doubt that this obvious act of rebellion will not go unpunished.

"Well, hats off to your stylist." Caesar gestures for the man to stand up. Although he sees this as simply giving the man the recognition he deserves, he's only hammering more nails into the stylist's coffin. "I don't think anyone can argue that that's not the most spectacular thing we've ever seen in an interview. Cinna, I think you'd better take a bow!"

He does so modestly, though it takes the stunned audience a moment before breaking out into thunderous applause. Venus' expression is stormy; he does not join in with the clapping. He's deeply upset that his masterpiece has been so clearly outshone.

The buzzer is barely audible over the cheers from the crowd. Katniss resumes her place with the other tributes, seemingly still dazed by the incident. She clearly hadn't known it was going to combust into real flames like that.