14 | at all costs

▕▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔▏AT ALL COSTS▕▁▁▁▁▁▁▵▁▁▁▁▁▁▏

▕▔▔▔▔▔▔▿▔▔▔▔▔▔▏
AT ALL COSTS
▕▁▁▁▁▁▁▵▁▁▁▁▁▁▏

。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚

IT ROLLS IN like a tidal wave, completely uniform as if there's an invisible force holding the fog back and keeping one tendril from overtaking the next. Ontari assumes it's a side-effect of the slight drizzle that had been creating tip-tapping sounds on the roof of their sanctuary for the past few hours. Then, she slowly pushes herself up off of Finnick's chest upon noticing that the fog is too sudden and thick to be steam from the water hitting the hot ground.

She locks eyes with Katniss' grey ones. Each of the women have slight expressions of alarm on their faces, though they try their best not to overreact until the situation is properly assessed.

Hesitantly, Ontari reaches her index finger toward the fog— and then immediately yanks it back at the searing pain that follows suit, racing up her finger and stinging all the way down to her toes. She cries out as blisters begin to bubble under her skin.

Finnick darts awake as soon as he hears her scream. Katniss is already working on rousing the others, whimpering at the burning sensation the artificial fog brings.

"Run!" she cries, barely giving them time to gather their wits before she's shoving them out of the hut. "Run!"

Instantly, Finnick grabs Mags and hoists her onto his back, taking off like a rocket despite his fatigue. Ontari lingers behind, allowing Peeta to get on his feet with help from Katniss. She releases another yelp as the fog thickens and notices that the Baker Boy is struggling to move quickly with his prosthetic limb.

"Take his arm!" Ontari shouts the order to Katniss as she slings one of Peeta's limbs around her shoulders. "I've got this one."

Opening her mouth was a mistake. She feels her throat beginning to blister, forming painful swells around her vocal cords that make it feel like her tonsils have doubled in size. Her skin burns as if she's been doused in acid. But together, she and Katniss manage to get Peeta moving enough to the point where they get a fraction ahead of the unnatural force chasing them.

"My... face..." Peeta mumbles sluggishly from beside her as she grunts, carrying most of the muscled boy's weight. Ontari sneaks a glimpse to the side to see what he means. A gasp of horror tumbles from her mouth. The entire left side of his face is sagging downward, eyelid drooping as if his skin is succumbing to gravity's insistent pull. Half of his mouth is twisted downward in an almost sinister scowl.

"It targets our nerves!" Katniss exclaims in a voice filled with trepidation, then is interrupted by a cry of agony as her arm is overcome by the fog.