Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Housekeeper

I bolted upright from bed, my head feeling like it would crack open at any moment. I was sweating bullets, breathing like I've just run miles.

That wasn't a dream. It was a horrible memory.

I vividly remembered the touch of that stranger, the smell of alcohol on his breath, the sounds of that place. Did Zach lie to me? Why would he?

At the thought of Zach, my head snapped to his side of the bed only to find pillows and crumpled sheets. I looked around the eerily silent room.

"Zach?"

There was no answer.

I closed my eyes, rubbing my temples before stepping out of bed. The door to our room was open and I came out that way. There was still no one in the aisle. I glanced back into my room before deciding to go down the stairs.

"Zach? Where are you?" Did he go out? But... he left without telling me? I knew nothing about this place and he knew that. Not even the password of the door to this penthouse.

"Good morning, dear."

I jumped at the sound of a woman's voice and quickly whirled around. At the door of the dining room, a plump old woman was standing in an apron. She had gray hair and a slightly wrinkled face, small almond eyes and equally smaller lips.

"H-hello." I was suddenly apprehensive at the sight of a stranger.

She gave me an apologetic smile, "Zachary told me of your condition, I must have startled you. I'm Susan Baker, your housekeeper."

"I'm Scarlett Noble Harrington," I automatically answer.

"I know, dear." She gestured for me to follow her into the dining area and I immediately followed. "Zachary told me not to let you miss any meals but you were sleeping so deeply it was a shame to wake you up."

I perked at that, "What time is it?"

"It's afternoon, dear. Have a seat and I'll prepare you your meal." She gestured to the dining table. So I sat there, watching her take out a bowl then transferring food from a pot.

As I waited, I watched the old lady's movements. She's obviously comfortable inside this kitchen. And she seemed nice. But I don't remember her, just like anything else.

"Here you go." She set down pasta with shrimps in white sauce and grilled chicken and asparagus. My stomach growled at the smell. I didn't realize how hungry I was.

At the first bite, my eyes widened. "This is really good!"

Susan smiled affectionately, "Maybe that's because they're your favorites?"

I perked at that, "They were?"

She nodded, watching me take another bite of the heavenly meal.

"How long have you been working here?" I asked.

"I was Zach's nanny since he was five. And when the two of you got married a year ago, I was already his housekeeper. But I knew you before that."

That got my attention. "So you know me well too?"

At my question, her expression suddenly became guarded. There was a strain in her next smile as she suddenly stood up.

"I'm sorry but I think I've already said too much. Zach strictly forbade the staff from talking about the past. I'll prepare your bath. Please enjoy the food."

Susan walked out of the room before I could say another word.

Zach forbade her from talking to me about the past?

I knew what the doctor said about not forcing the memories. But why did I feel like there was more to this whole situation than people were letting me into.

All I knew was I was Scarlett Noble Harrington, twenty-four years old. I was married to business tycoon, Zachary Christopher Harrington, twenty-seven. And apparently, just a year ago as I learned today. I was five when my mom left, and my father died three months ago.

I had a lot of questions. Why did my mom leave? When did I meet Zach? What was my relationship like with my father? And why did Zach's mother hate me?

When I went up to our room after washing my own dishes, the Jacuzzi was prepared. Susan left me to wash up, not meeting my eyes.

There was also Susan and her strange behavior.

The warm water wasn't helping me relax so I got out after a short while and went to the closet. And again, I couldn't find a decent shirt. I was okay with wearing shorts and exposing my legs but that was my limit. Everything from the waist up should be adequately covered.

I glanced at Zach's clothes on the other side and bit my lip.

He wouldn't mind, would he?

Like a thief, I snatched up one of his folded white shirt and quickly put it on. Even running out of the closet as if someone might catch. But when I realized I was being ridiculous, I shook my head and decided to come down the stairs for something to do.

"Susan?" No reply.

I head to the kitchen where she was earlier this day. Susan wasn't there. But there was a glass of milk on the counter and a note.

Drink this for the baby. Went to the supermarket.

At the mention of the baby, I downed the contents in one go. That was right, I had to be mindful of the baby growing inside me. I shouldn't get stressed because I wasn't the only one using this body anymore.

A door slammed in the living room.

I frowned. Susan? Already?

There were two voices.

Zach? But I didn't know who the other voice and they sounded like they were arguing too.

Dread sped up my heart rate in an instant.

The last time this scenario happened was yesterday. And Zach's mother came.

What was this now?

This is a filler chapter. But necessary so you know... I'll try to post the next chapter tonight:)