Chapter 28 Part 2

So a typhoon ravaged the area and we had no internet for almost two days. Yay.

Chapter 28 Part 2

Everything

My mind literally blanked out at his answer.

"I didn't lie to you," Zach reiterated. "Least of all about something like that."

I opened and closed my mouth repeatedly before finding my voice. "But I remember that clearly... I'm sure I've been there. I know I've met Valerie before..."

The intense look in Zachary's eyes made my words falter.

What in the world was going on?

Blue eyes held my brown ones.

"Mara," Zach called without taking his eyes away.

"I'm already listening," Mara's face was a mask of confusion, glancing first at Zach before turning to me. "Are you asking me which one of you is the liar?"

I blanched, "But I'm not..."

Zach shook his head, "What are the chances that she could've developed false memories in this time?"

Mara glanced sharply at Zach as if the suggestion took her off-guard. 

"False memories? Are you serious right now?" She demanded as if she couldn't believe Zachary said something too ridiculous.

But no matter how ridiculous, it had me thinking quickly. My heart thudded sharply in my chest. 

"False memories..?" I repeated the words, trying to make them sink into my head. That my mind couldn't betray me further. It forgot everything and now was replacing those missing memories by creating fake ones?

A hand touched my cheek and I jumped. Zachary hold was warm and maybe it was meant to be comforting against the sudden chill of my already paled face. But his face was turned to Mara.

"What are the chances?" Zach repeated.

Mara's eyes widened at the tone. Her mind was obviously working double time.

She was my last hope. False memories on top of it all? This shouldn't be happening. I knew what I remembered. They were too vivid to be made up. And if they were false? What then was I supposed to believe in anymore.

She bit her lower lip before glancing at me. "I don't know..."

My heart dropped.

Zach cursed. And I realized I wasn't the only one with these wretched feelings. Zach seemed to be reflecting the helplessness too.

What now? What was I supposed to do now?

"I d-don't think they're false memories..."

Four heads turned at Lily's quite voice.

She stood half behind Marcus, still holding her husband's arm. The sudden attention making her flush and step just a little closer to Marcus.

"What do you mean?" Zach's eyes narrowed.

Marcus didn't like the tone used on his wife, "Watch how you talk—"

Mara who obviously didn't care for her best friends' present concerns quickly cut in. She redirected the conversation to Lily, "You don't think they're false memories? How so?"

Lily hesitated a little, looking first at Zach then at me before turning back to Mara.

"Well... I j-just think there's a much simpler explanation to what's going on." She looked to the ground. "If Scarlett says she remembers something, maybe Zachary is just really unaware of such information. Do you actually get the chance to tell another person every moment, every conversation or encounter in your life? It's not necessary even for the husband to know everything about the wife... r-right?"