19

"Good day, beautiful," Daniel greets me when I approach the table. It's on the rooftop and I got a little sick just looking over the edge and into the horizon. I wonder how badly an ant would be damaged if it was to fall over.

"I like this sight," I say sarcastically and he chuckles as he looks over the edge with me. Just then a waiter comes to take our order.

"I'll have the Mexican special," Dan says, handing him the menu. I didn't have time to look at the menu so I just ask for the same thing he did.

"Coming right up," the guy says, walking away and casually turning to look back at me. I just shrug it off and talk to Dan.

"Did he call last night?"

"Who?"

"Your boyfriend, dummy," he laughs, taking a sip of the drink he had. That's when I noticed I also had one.

"No, he didn't. But he texted asking me to join him for lunch. I told him I would be meeting a friend instead."

"So I'm a friend now, eh?" he smirks.

"Well," I elongate, "about that," I say and he chuckles with me.

"Here you go," the waiter says, placing our plates on the table. He looks hesitant at first and his whole face turns red. "Excuse me, are you guys together?"

I look at Dan before looking at the guy again. I clear my throat and politely ask, "Together how?"

"Are you taken?" He asks, raising his eyebrow.

"Something like that," I say, looking away. Am I taken? Am I not? It doesn't feel any different.

"I didn't catch your name," he said with a smile, sticking his hand out to me.

"She didn't throw it in your direction," Dan said, making the waiter part his mouth and form an 'o'.

"He's my possessive best friend," I excuse, giving Daniel a silent glare. "I'm Tess," I say, giving him my hand.

"Nick," he says with a smile before walking away. As I watch him walk away, I see him talk to a brunette waitress that has been standing at the entrance the entire time. She looks back at me and they both disappear behind the door, probably to get back to their work. There was something about the way she looked at me that didn't sit well with me.

"That's weird," I say, shrugging as I pick up my fork.

"Maybe she's the ex," he dismissed as he sipped on his drink. "Anyway, bestie, let's eat."

The rest of the afternoon was spent laughing with Daniel. I learned that he's interning at a publishing firm. After that, someone came and collected our empty plates and cups. I paid the bill after arguing over it. Needless to say, he was a bit grumpy when I won the argument and paid.

In less than ten minutes, we were back at his place and we set up a fort and got snacks. It's frightening how comfortable I'm becoming with him so soon. He also gave me his favourite fluffy blanket and his hard drive. How can I not swoon? After closing the dark curtains to block some  he came to sit beside me on the carpet. 

"Pick any movie, just not Insidious or any other paranormal stuff," he said with an air of dread. I won't admit I also don't like scary stuff so I chose a high school movie.

"'Love, Simon'?" I asked and he nods. "What's it about?"

"I haven't watched it bef-" he was saying but I cut him short by stuffing popcorn in his mouth.