1. The First Look

Mansi was the apple of her parents' eyes so it wasn't out of the ordinary when her mother came to her room one morning to wake her up with the morning tea in one hand and an envelope in the other. When she woke up from the kiss on her forehead, she obviously didn't notice the envelope that was going to change her life. But, even in her sleepy stupor, as she smiled and sat up looking at her mother with groggy eyes, she noticed the sheepish look that her mother was giving her. The morning light was filtering in through her curtains which added to the cosiness of the room was provoking Mansi to slide back down and take another nap but her mom didn't leave. It was when she sat down at the foot of the bed that Mansi understood something was definitely up.

"Beta," Mansi's mother started. "You know we have been looking for a suitable match for you for some time now and two days back we came across a match which is perfect." Mansi's mother took a pause to let Mansi take in the information. Then, she quietly slid the envelope that she was holding in her hand towards her.

Shocked as she was, Mansi took out the photograph and all to took was one look before she said, "Okay."

The very next day, she woke up in a flurry with her mother rummaging through her closet.

"Mansiii, get up beta," her mother called out still looking for something. Now, Mansi was a little particular about her cupboard or for that matter everything in general. She kept things organised and stacked according to her set criteria. For clothes, she kept them colour-coded and stacked according to the occasion and hence the rummaging made her a little uneasy so she quickly got out of her bed and went to where her mom was contemplating between the three or four traditional Kurtis that she had taken out.

"Mumma?" Mansi questioned as she stood next to her mother.

"I'm trying to pick an outfit for you," Her mother answered casually but Mansi detected a little something in her tone. Come on, it was her mother! She knew this human being inside out.

"Ahaan?" Mansi folded her arms in mock suspicion while looking at her mom.

"Well, you see..." her mother avoided her look like a child avoids their mother's eye after doing something that they shouldn't have. "We are taking you to meet Amit."

Mansi had decided to be playful and tease her mom for whatever she was going to say but this came as such a shock that all she could say was, "Oh!"

As her mother decided upon a red kurta and some white pants to go with it, Mansi just stood there. She felt drained and she had just woken up. 

Her mother left the room after giving her a million suggestions of what to do with her hair and what jhumkas would go perfectly with it and two hours later, Mansi was clad in the same outfit as picked by her mom. She decided on wearing her favourite pair of kitten heels which went perfectly with the whole look. Her long brownish-black hair fell freely and the strands framed her face perfectly. Mansi decided against going all out with her make-up so she kept her look all-natural with Kajal to pop her eyes out and a pinkish tinge on her lips. She completed her look by adorning a pair of jhumkis which again, her mother had picked out for her and a small Bindi on her forehead.

For Mansi, the car ride was over in a jiffy. Her family was going on and on about some event that had to attend later in the week but Mansi didn't catch a word of it. She stared out of the window into oblivion and was pulled back into reality when the car finally stopped in front of The Gymkhana Club.

Getting out of the car, as the valet took the keys from her dad, they were greeted by what Mansi understood to be Amit's family, Mansi's future in-laws. Jitters and butterflies would be an understatement to how Mansi felt at that moment. As her mother introduced her to everyone, she shyly greeted them with a 'Namaste', all the while looking down at her feet. Finally, with the niceties over, they made their way inside.