8. The Party

It was a house party. Amit had later told Mansi that his friends wanted to get to know her so they had planned this get-together. In short, it was basically a party for Mansi. She put extra effort to dress up for it. She wanted to make a good first impression. Her things were still not completely unpacked so Mansi was in a dilemma of what to do about it. She went through the clothes that she had and after hours of contemplation decided upon a little black dress. It was the right ratio of elegant and sexy. The neckline accentuated her shoulders perfectly and the waistline brought out her figure. She kept minimal make-up and put her hair up in a messy bun with a few strands of hair caressing her face gently. She wore kitten heels as Mansi wanted to be comfortable.

It was quarter to seven when Mansi went to the living room and found that Amit was already ready. He was wearing a grey casual blazer over a white t-shirt which he had paired up with blue washed-out jeans and white sneakers. Amit looked up from his phone on hearing Mansi approach and was at a loss of words.

Mansi looked amazing. She always did but Amit hadn't had a chance to see her in a dress yet and when he did, his heart skipped a beat. Mansi had the same reaction on seeing Amit.

Amit was good at pulling a poker face so Mansi couldn't read his reaction. She was hoping for a compliment or two but Amit just picked up the car keys and said, "Let's go."

On the way, Amit told a little about all his friends who he thought would be there as he too didn't know the details about the party. Mansi listened intently and tried to memorise as much as she could. One thing about Mansi was that she liked to be prepared and a little background about the attendees was helpful.

They reached their destination and the music could be heard in the parking lot. As they went inside, Mansi could feel the beats of the music reverberate through the walls and it was making her a little dizzy. Mansi had never been a fan of parties but it seemed like Amit loved them. People started greeting them and one by one Amit introduced Mansi to everyone.

The host of the party was Ram, Amit's childhood friend. He came and started talking to the both of them and soon Mansi also started feeling at ease. She looked around to take in the scene of the party. Everyone was dressed up. There were many girls too and Mansi realized that Amit hadn't introduced her to any of them. She found it a little strange but did not dwell on it for too long. Everyone seemed to be around their age and they seemed to be having a lot of fun. Some people were dancing in the middle of the room while some were standing in the balcony with drinks in one hand and a cigarette in the other, deep in conversation. There were some people who were sitting on the couch playing cards while some were near the dining table stuffing their faces.

After dinner, everyone started shouting for a dance by the newlywed. Now, Mansi was a trained classical dancer but she had never danced with anyone, let alone a guy. She didn't know what to do so she just stood there a little embarrassed and blushing profusely. She turned to look at Amit who looked at her at the exact same moment and gave him a little nod, smiling shyly. Amit took Mansi's hand and walked to the centre of the room. Ram went ahead and played a slow Bollywood romantic song.

As they swayed to the music, their hearts thumped in synchronization. The people around them didn't exist, the world around them didn't exist. Amit's friends started whistling and howling but they were oblivious to that. They finally stopped when the music stopped. Both of them were breathing heavily and goosebumps covered their skin from each other's proximity. It was the closest they had been to each other. An upbeat song came up and Amit took Mansi's hand and led her away from the stage. He poured her a glass of water and did the same for himself.

As they stood there, hand-in-hand, a girl walked up to them with a big smile on her face. Mansi turned to look at Amit and saw that Amit too had a big smile on his face and was looking at that girl.

"Hey," the girl said stopping in front of them. "It's been so long Amit!'

"Hi," Amit replied and acknowledged her with a nod.

"So wouldn't you introduce me to your wife?" the girl said looking at Mansi and giving her a warm smile.

Amit put a hand around Mansi and said, "This is Mansi, my wife and Mansi this is Nina. She was my classmate back in school."

Mansi smiled back at her but she was sure that her smile was not as warm as Nina's. The next song came up and Nina squealed with joy. She dragged Amit with her to the dance floor and they started dancing. Jealousy made its way to Mansi's head. She trusted Amit not to be 'that' kind of a guy but right now, seeing him dance with Nina was making her doubt the whole situation.

Ram came to Mansi's rescue. Ram had seen the whole scene unfold from a distance and was cursing his friend to be so insensitive but he knew Amit and he knew he was too dumb to think about the impact this would have on Mansi. Ram asked Mansi for a dance and Mansi obliged. As they danced, Ram started making small talk with her asking her things about herself. He was happy for Amit. Mansi was one in a million. She was beautiful and down-to-earth, a rare find. Ram could sense Amit's eyes on him which made him chuckle. A healthy dose of jealousy might be good for his friend.

As the song came to an end, Ram said to Mansi, "Don't go worrying about those two. Amit has never had any interest in any girl let alone her. They are good friends and that's just it." Mansi smiled brightly on hearing this and muttered a small 'Thank you.'

They were among the last ones to leave the party. Amit hadn't had alcohol so he was okay to drive. The drive back was silent but it was a comfortable silence. Mansi had a lot of questions running through her head but she had no energy to ask them. They went straight to bed on reaching home.

********************************

VOTE TO SHOW SUPPORT !!