18. The Day of Love

Amit woke up before Mansi the next morning and found himself hugging Mansi. He smiled to himself and pulled her even closer. He lay awake looking at her peaceful face and thinking about the time they have spent together. He did not know how much time had passed and got out of his reverie when he felt Mansi start to stir, she was waking up. Amit shut his eyes pretending to sleep. He wasn't sure how Mansi would react when she wakes up.

Mansi woke up with Amit's arms around her. She tilted her head and looked at Amit's face, he looked peaceful and content. She snuggled into him and stayed there for a while. Finally, she sighed and slowly lifted Amit's hands to get out of the embrace, reluctantly. She quietly climbed out of the bed and covered Amit with the blanked giving him a small peck on his cheek in the process. As she turned to leave, Amit caught hold of her hand and pulled her back. She fell on the bed and into Amit's welcoming arms. They both started struggling and giggling and when they stopped, they had not expected to be this close to each other.

Both of them were panting and staring into each other's eyes when Amit dipped his head and captured Mansi's lips into a kiss. The kiss was passionate but gentle at the same time. Mansi was shocked at first but soon gave in and joined Amit. Goosebumps erupted on their bodies and they broke apart with renewed panting.

Mansi's mind was blank whereas Amit's mind was racing with a lot of things at once. He pulled Mansi and held her tightly in a bear hug. She gave in into his arms and slowly their breathing calmed down. After what seemed like hours, Amit slowly lifted Mansi's chin and give her a small kiss again.

******

They prepared breakfast together and then Amit went to get ready while Mansi started with the cleaning. For the first time since being married, Mansi actually felt what is known as marital bliss and this is just from a small act of passion.

******

Amit came back from office early and asked Mansi to relax while he went to prepare dinner. He had called up his mother-in-law and asked what Mansi liked. He set up the table out in the balcony with fairy lights and scented candles to illuminate the ambience. After setting up the table, he kept a gift-box on the bed with a note on Mansi that said,

'Wear this My Wife'

He went to have a quick shower and get ready. The gift-box was gone by the time he got out and he smiled to himself. He had searched the best shops in the city for a dress for Mansi but couldn't find anything that would be suitable for today until he came across this. He did not have to think twice before buying this and now he couldn't wait to see Mansi wear it. It was about to be eight when Amit knocked on the bedroom door. Mansi had been waiting for this knock for the past half an hour.

Her heart was hammering as she finally looked at herself in the mirror. The dress was olive coloured, floor-length with a high-rise slit on the right leg. It hugged her body at the right places and brought out her features. The fabric was soft against her skin. This was the most alluring piece of clothing that Mansi had ever worn. She had tied up her hair in a bun but the dress was backless and she felt too exposed so she let her mane of black hair fall free. The dress flowed perfectly as she walked towards the door.

Amit was stunned to see how perfect Mansi looked in the dress. He extended his hand and Mansi took it shyly. Amit led them to the balcony and Mansi was amazed at the set-up. Amit, like a true gentleman, made Mansi sit and then went on to pour two flutes of champagne that he had bought on his way home. Mansi's eyes never left Amit and the cold evening breeze was making her skin tingly.

Amit sat opposite her and no words were spoken. When Mansi saw Amit raised the champagne to his lips, Mansi did the same. Sparks were felt by the both of them and no one dared to break this silence. For dessert, Amit had bought fortune cookies from Mansi's favourite bakery and a small red velvet cake. They cut the cake together and Mansi served the pieces. Once the food was done, Amit got up and led Mansi inside.

Amit took her hand for a dance, Perfect by Ed Shereen was playing in the background but they were oblivious to it. They were oblivious to the world. Finally, they retreated to the bedroom and Mansi found two fortune cookies kept on the bed in a basket filled with rose petals. She turned to look at Amit but he wasn't there so she picked up the first cookie. She cracked it and the note said,

Check out the other one

She did! There was no note in the second cookie. A ring came out of the cookie with a note. The note read,

Nothing is enough to tell you how sorry I am for the past few months. The decision is your Mansi and all I can do is just request you to give me another chance and I will be the best husband ever.

Tears sprung in her eyes and at that moment Amit came and took the ring from her hand. He looked at her with an expectant face as he got down on one knee holding the platinum band. Half laughing-half crying, Mansi too sat down with Amit and hugged him. They stayed like that for a while and parted when Amit took Mansi's hand and put the ring on.

They did not consummate their marriage that day. That day will come but today was all about love and starting afresh.

************

VOTE, COMMENT AND SHARE :)