III

Drake picked up the phone on his desk and called Samantha. He was kinda hoping she wasn't home. Nervous. He had never been this nervous about calling a woman. His hopes were dashed when she answered on the third ring.

"Hello." The voice was breathy, like she had been in a hurry.

"Samantha?" Even though he knew it was her. Her voice caused a shiver to go straight up his spine.

"Yes?" He could hear the suspicion in her voice now.

"Samantha, it's Drake. I hope you don't mind, but I got your number from Bill. I wanted to invite you to dinner." Silence.

"Samantha?" 

"Yes, I'm here. I'm thinking. Where will we be going?" She asked.

"That depends on you. What kind of food do you like? We have all types of restaurants in the city, or, if you prefer, I can grill steaks and baked potatoes....."

Sam jumped in on that. "You got yourself a deal. I haven't had a grilled steak in a long time. Can you do a medium rare steak, or even a medium?"

Drake silently chuckled at her girlish enthusiasm. "I can, because that's how I eat mine. I tell you what, you can bring a bottle of  some really good red wine and I'll supply everything else. Is tonight too soon?"

"No. Its just noon now. Any particular brand you like? Oh, should I bring dessert?" He loved how she was so excited. That boded well for their date.

"No, I'll get dessert. I have something in mind. So you have any food allergies?" He waited for her negative answer before continuing. "I'll text you my address. You might want to leave a little early. I live pretty far off the beaten track. I like my privacy." Drake wasn't sure how he felt about having a woman in his personal space that wasn't a brother's ol' lady. He didn't have women there. If he wanted to get laid, he did it at the club house or the girls place. Never his.  He hung up and took out his cell and texted Samantha his address for his lake house. Then he went in search of his VP.

After going over a few things with Vulcan, Drake left to go to the store

After going over a few things with Vulcan, Drake left to go to the store. He took his time and picked out the perfect steaks, having the butcher cut them to his specifications, some seafood, salad stuff, and some baking potatoes. Then on his way home, he stopped at the diner where Lucy worked and bought a half of a cheesecake and several different topping choices, included candied pecans.

 Then on his way home, he stopped at the diner where Lucy worked and bought a half of a cheesecake and several different topping choices, included candied pecans