Forward

The vessel dropped from its FTL jump and quietly remained still. The area of space was completely void of any planets or stars. In all reality their little ship was in the middle of no where.

The interior of the vessel reflected the calm of the outside. All three laid in various positions on the floor. The newly formatted Eindri was on the flat of her back, while Rhynn and Jonah were face down. The computer gently tried to wake its new crew. A sonic pulse vibrated the hull of the vessel.

Eindri sat up screaming, and abruptly she was back On her arched back. A few moments passed and she was motionless. She didn't flinch or even register any other stimuli. Even when the men began to wake up.

As all three had their helmets engaged, they communicated via a wireless connection. This communication system seemed to know ally from foe. Even at times when the occupant of the armour did not.

"Did you say something Rhynn?" Jonah asked as he came around. Shaking his head Rhynn replied. "I think that was Ein." He revealed his familiarity with her. Jonah hesitated as he too noticed this fact. "She was speaking?" He asked to clarify.
"No she was screaming. I think the last of the update to her Aegis is complete." He rolled over and pushed his body off the ground. "Did you say something?" Jonah asked again.

Puzzled Rhynn looked at his friend confused. "What are you hearing?" Pausing Jonah as he seemed to be listening. "Yup-grate-and-by." Rhynn removed his helmet and revealed a large smile. He made his way over to his friend. Taking up a position behind him Jonah cautiously watched him do so. "What are you doing Rhynn?" He placed his hands on his shoulders and pressed his right knee into his spine.

"I'm helping." He stated. He sighed and spoke reassuringly. "I need you to think about words for me." Removing his helmet Jonah tried to stand. Rhynn forced him down. "No Jonak, I need you to think of words and the meaning of the words."
"Like idiot and strange and personal space?" Jonah said annoyed over the personal bubble being violated.

"Those are good words. But let's try opposites. Like open."
"Closed."
"Scared."
"Calm."
"Deny."
"Allow." Jonah suddenly went rigid and his spine arched. Groaning loudly he rolled over onto his side.

"I do not envy the headache you will have when you wake." He seemed to whisper to the sleeping Jonah. He stood and took a few steps and then froze.

"Update standby." He heard in his mind. He fell to his knees as his spine arched. He screamed slightly as the seconds passed.

The automated update system of the armour was a system no one truly understood. Always when the user of the Aegis was in a safe environment and relatively in good health; these type of upgrades would take place.

It also had a bearing on where in the galaxy the user was. Closer to the core systems the more frequent the updates were. The pain involved was greatly reduced too. Violent updates or upgrades often meant large changes. Many among the users of the Aegis armour reasoned the creator of this feature was a sadist.

It was hours before anyone moved a finger again. As time slipped away Jonah would be the first to try and move again. The ships AI seemed to have a grasp of what was happening. It did not try to wake them or to stir them in anyway.

Jonah's armour had changed noticeably. He now had a heavier chest plate and arms. His armour looked more like a battle suit rather than just a form fitting uniform. As he came around his head was slammed by a massive headache. A voice from within his armour told him. "Hello sir, I am administering a very small dose of morphine." As the headache ramped in strength and pain, it was suddenly neutralized. Rhynn began to wake. He grabbed his head and groaned.

His armour had changed too, much in the same way Jonah's had. Rhynn stumbled his way next to his brother in arms. They sat for a few moments as they both recovered from the updates. Eindri began to stir. She too joined the boys with their backs to the wall.