Chapter Seventeen - Stranger Number

Longer chapter ahead!

RILEY

'COME ON... Luc has done it, why can't you?'

The door to my room was locked. I stared at the ground several feet below, hands on either side of me clutching the window ledge. This was the only way. Dad would see me by the front door and we'd argue again. I had to keep developing my abilities, even if it meant going behind his back. I wasn't happy about it, but it had to be done.

I inhaled glacial air that froze my nostrils. Looking down, some part of my brain encouraged me to push off but I was scared of acting dumb and hurting myself.

'You can do this. You're a mutant and you can do this.'

God, I must sound so weird. I suppressed a disturbed laugh.

'Okay, it's not that high. I wouldn't hurt myself too bad if I somehow land wrong. Luc will fix that.'

Courage helped me slide off and... my legs positioned themselves like I've done this a hundred times. My knees bent in a crouch as my feet softly dropped on the snow. My body handled the impact like I'd hopped down a step. I straightened, staring back at my window. Giddiness washed over me. I did it! I actually did it! Maybe I wouldn't be such a crappy mutant, after all.

*

Almost every evening, I snuck out like that to meet Tony at Luc's cabin, and it ate most of my time. To get back in my room, I'd take the metal ladder from our shed and climb up. Jumping down was easy but the opposite was still impossible.

Things between my Dad and I were tense. I let him down big time, and I imagined his disappointment stretching for as long as I wouldn't spit the truth. Two days ago, I made a batch of blueberry muffins to say sorry, but it probably didn't fix much.

Over the days, I turned down many dates with Adam and outings with Sam and Jen, which sucked. I invented some lame excuse, and I knew they felt bummed. After seeing their childhood friend slowly drift away from them, it was suddenly my turn. I hung out with them at lunchtime, at least.

Emma was seen less and less often in class. I had to talk to her soon and make sure things were all right. I couldn't bear this feeling of helplessness any longer. I was scared she'd disappear; she was already slipping through my fingers like sand. Maybe it was irrational of me, maybe it was not.

I climbed up Luc's porch and let myself in, shaking the snow off my hair. The door was locked, but I discovered that unlocking doors through my abilities was the easiest trick. He didn't mind. There was an open door policy on the house floor for regular visitors.

I walked into the kitchen. I nodded over at Luc, who stood by the windows drinking a glass of milk.

He nodded back. "Sunshine."

"Jerk."

Needless to mention, we were both tired of seeing each other so often. 

"Any news about Emma?" he inquired, laying his empty glass on the counter.

"No. I'm worried about what she's doing while skipping class."

Luc rubbed his forehead with the back of his hand. "And your dad?"

"Nothing's changed," I said, shoulders stiffening. They started off on the wrong foot, the both of them, but time passed and Luc's suspicions faded when it became clear Dad wasn't suspicious of him. Now, they actually got along. Yuck. "I don't know how much longer I'll have to keep this up. I don't get it, though. If I'm different, then how is he human?"