Chapter 11 - Optimism

Suddenly Khushi sensed those warm, familiar hands go around her waist, holding her close.

"Hi" he said as they swayed to the music slowly.

"Let me go" she muttered shocked at how she ended up in his arms, trying to pull away from his grasp.

He leaned forward, so close that she felt his breath on her cheek and shivered. "Never" he whispered in her ears, as he twirled her around.

"Arnav, I don't want to dance anymore" she said, struggling.

"You're a very good dancer, have I ever told you that?" he asked her, trying to lighten up the mood.

"I hate dancing, it reminds me of'" Khushi began, but stopped herself.

"From the past that you hate to think of, right? But why let good memories suffer while ignoring the bad ones?" Arnav asked as he dipped her, his face inches from hers. His molten caramel eyes fused with her hazel ones. And in that instant, neither of them desired to look anywhere else. He pulled her back up and she glanced around making sure nobody was looking. Thankfully, everyone was busy dancing and enjoying themselves in light conversation.

"I still remember the first time you performed on stage. Remember our talent show in grade 2?" he asked.

Khushi's eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. "You still remember that?" she asked with a surprised look on her face.

"Can't forget it even if I wanted to" he replied as he twirled her again.

Flashback

"Khushi, you're up next! Are you ready to perform?" Miss Johnstone asked.

"Yes Miss, just a little nervous" Khushi explained.

"Don't be nervous, you're a fabulous dancer! Now go out and get'em" Miss Johnstone said with a wink.

Khushi glanced at the mirror backstage one last time before taking steady steps towards the stage to perform her favourite kind of dance ' contemporary ballet. This was her favourite because it was different from classical ballet; here she got to incorporate modern dance steps in between which made it look totally cooler.

As soon as she got on stage, she began to hyperventilate whilst looking at the audience. She saw her parents smiling at her from the front row, cheering her on, yet that did nothing to help her panicking state. The spotlight was on her suddenly, and she heard the music start. How was she supposed to start, with everyone looking at her? She had done many recitals before, but those were mainly people she didn't know. Over here was her entire school, all her friends. One mistake and she would be made fun of for the rest of her life. Finally, she spotted the one person she had wanted to see the whole time ' Arnav. He sat beside two other boys, and the girls behind him were obviously staring at the back of his head. She saw him smile slightly, and she suddenly felt like she could dance. Like she was capable of doing anything on this stage. Just because of that small smile he gave her. Her confidence rose, and she felt the music filling up her senses. She closed her eyes, pictured Arnav's face one last time, and danced. She moved gracefully, along to the music, not missing a single beat or step. Before she knew it, she had performed her last step, and people were clapping. Her parents were standing up with big smiles on their faces. Most importantly, Arnav was clapping, his angelic face beaming at her. She bowed, and headed backstage.

As soon as the talent show was over, the majority of the kids came backstage to see their friends who had performed. Arnav approached her and stood there with his friends, rather awkwardly. She sat in front of her mirror fidgeting with her dress, nervous as Arnav was so close. What felt like hours later, Arnav's friends had left, and he still stood there looking at her. She finally turned her head and looked up at him.