Untitled Part 37

Chapter 36A - Amendments

Anjali Jha had been about to walk into the kitchen when she realized that NK and Lavanya were the only ones sitting at the dining table, eating by themselves, smiling and laughing in between. It was a lovely sight, calm and serene, and it made Anjali feel good for the first time in months.

She stood peeking at the door, listening to their casual talk. They actually looked like husband and wife, him coming home from a tiring day at work and having his wife serve dinner for him.

The transformations that Anjali had noticed in both, were astounding. How could one change so fast, and for the betterment of situations too?

Initially, she had noticed NK who was trying his absolute best to handle everything on his own, and it showed in his behaviour. It was apparent in the way he spoke, in the way he acted. However, now it was as if these new traits had always been an integral part of him. He looked happy doing everything he did, not as if he was forced into it all, but as if he had chosen this route himself. There was a glow in his eyes at the mention of the baby, and whenever he saw Lavanya. Sometimes Anjali thought she was looking into it too much, however as time passed she realized that it was in fact reality.

Lavanya had surprised her even more, if that were possible. She still did not understand what had ensued between them both, or how all these situations came into play in the first place. Yet, all she knew was that Lavanya was not what she had thought out to be, or what any of the family had thought out to be. She seemed just as happy about the baby than NK was, if not more. It was true, that she tried as hard as she could to win everyone's heart, to fill in a void previously left empty and blurred with lines of guilt and despair. And although, perhaps Lavanya did not always get the response she may have wished for, she never showed it. She did everything with a smile, and that was what Anjali loved. It reminded her of Khushi...

Khushi, Anjali thought with a pang. How was she doing? She heard from Arnav that they were moving forward, working matters out. And it settled her heart to hear it, however, she still wished she could talk to her in person. The problem was that she was afraid. She wanted Khushi to take her time, and contact Anjali herself when she could, but she was beginning to become restless over her best friend.

Turning her head back towards the lovely scene playing out in front of her, she sighed.

"Wait, Lavanya I'll take the plates. You sit down." She heard NK say.

"I'm not a baby NK, I can get up." Lavanya countered, making Anjali smile.

"Yes, but you are carrying one. So I'd prefer doing the dishes instead." NK smiled, taking the plate out of her hand and heading over to the sink, leaving Lavanya giggling and shaking her head.

She had a beautiful glow on her face, a natural tint that no makeup could ever compare to. And Anjali was happy for her, for them, it overshadowed the pain of...

Two hands slipped around her waist, as she felt her husband come up behind her to rest his head in the crook of her neck and peek into the kitchen with her.

"Eavesdropping, are we?" He chuckled lightly, placing a kiss on her cheek.

"Not eavesdropping...just casually watching!" Anjali smiled.

"Oh, I'm sure."

"They look so happy, don't they?" She turned slightly to face Shyam, while he smiled back at her and nodded.

"They do. I'm happy for them."

Anjali looked back at the scene, as NK carefully helped Lavanya up from her chair, minding her very big baby bump in the process.

Anjali felt Shyam's hands tighten around her, pressing his cheek against hers. "I know. I wish we could have that too."

Anjali sighed in slight despair. "What if the reports come out, and say that I can never have a baby Shyam? We've been trying for years." She whispered.

"Then...there are other options we can consider. We could adopt. We'll figure something out Anju."

Anjali's eyes widened slightly, finally turning in her husband's arms and studying him carefully. "Really?"

"Really." Shyam nodded. "We'll have our baby. No matter what. Because you Anjali Jha, are one of those women who were meant to be a mother, born to be one. And we'll be awesome parents someday, I know it." He smiled when she crushed herself to him, feeling the wetness of her tears on his shirt.

Pulling her back, he wiped away any of the remaining dampness, and cupped her face lovingly.

"Now that you have gotten that off of your chest, lets get something else off of your chest too."

Anjali frowned. "Huh?"

"Today is a good day. I think it's good enough to make a call..." Shyam smiled, and Anjali pondered for a moment.

"Anju, call her. Don't be so nervous, Khushi is not upset with you at all. Why would she be? Knowing her, she is most likely over everything that happened the last time she was here. If she is upset, it's because you haven't contacted her in so long. I know you wanted to give her space, but she needs her best friend in her space too. You've given it enough time, and you are torturing yourself by not doing this." Shyam urged.

Anjali lowered her long dark lashes, adjusting the pallu of her sari and taking in a deep breath and nodding, knowing her husband was absolutely right.

Shyam took her hand, and Anjali balanced herself by placing some weight on her husband, as she limped up the stairs to their room.

-----

Khushi put the phone down from her umpteenth attempt at calling Arnav, yet to no avail. He would not answer her calls, not that she blamed him. She couldn't believe what had gotten into her.

Taking large gulps of breath to calm her erratic heartbeats, she slumped into her chair.

The shrill ringing of her mobile sent her sitting upright as she grabbed the phone without a second glance.

"Hello?" She said, out of breath.

"Khushi?" She felt a lump form at her throat, although it was not the voice she had been hoping for. She was hearing the sweet tone after so long.

"Anjali...?" She asked, just to make sure. To double check.

"It's me."

There was silence on both sides as Khushi tried to control her heavy voice, and tears already on the verge of spilling from beforehand. And she knew Anjali had been doing the exact same thing.

"How have you been?"
"How are you?"

They had both spoken at the same time, their voices mingling and further letting out shaky laughs after the realization of it all.

"I missed you." Khushi spoke first, unable to hold anything back. She had wanted to call everyday. Not just Anjali, but Nani or Mami...and NK. She knew he was off bounds, she wanted him to be able to have all the space he needed with Lavanya, with the new chapter of his life. Her interference would not have helped matters at all, so as much as it had hurt her, she had put the phone down every time she had picked it up.

"I miss you too Khush. I'm sorry I didn't call earlier...I was scared." Anjali admitted. "I don't know why, I just was."

"Anji, if anyone knows that feeling well, it is me." Khushi smiled wryly, wishing Anjali were there in person to give her the hug she craved for.

"I'm sorry I didn't call either. I wasn't sure..." Khushi started, not quite sure how to word what she felt. However, this was why Anjali and her had melded so well together in the first place. She had the power to finish her thoughts and sentences for her.

"I get it. Can we quit being awkward now?"

Khushi let out a laugh and nodded, "Yes please."

"I'm sorry about everything. How things were left here, just everything. I don't know if ----"

"Anjali, I'm not just saying this to seem nice, or because you are my closest friend. But I will say this because I mean it - I've gotten over everything that happened. It was all a big misunderstanding, and I'm sure had everyone known the facts, none of that would have happened in the first place."

"I know Khushi, but---"

"Anjali, it's okay. I have forgotten about all of it. There is no point in bringing this all up again." Khushi urged.

Khushi heard Anjali sigh. "Anyways, how is Shyam?"

"He's alright. Busy with work. Nani and mami miss you, although they don't always word it, it's quite evident. And even NK..."

"How is he?" Khushi asked immediately, no longer able to contain the question inside.

"He's...great. He has changed immensely Khushi, if you were here today, you would be so happy to see how he is."

This made Khushi smile genuinely at the thought. "I'm so happy for him. And Lavanya?"

"She's good too, excited for the baby. We all are." Khushi smiled again. "But enough about us. Tell me about you."

"It's been busy Anji. Work and family..."

"And..."

"And?" Khushi asked, knowing very well what was coming her way.

"And what about Chotey?"

"He's...been amazing. I haven't been so happy in ages Anji, he makes me feel like I'm the best there is." Khushi admitted. "And it's gotten to a point where even a couple of hours not talking to him is really really hard."