Chapter 16 - Amendment

2 months later

"Buaji!!!! Have you seen my Singhania file? And where's my laptop??" Khushi yelled while pacing around the house.

"Hai re Nandkishore! Both are on the coffee table! Why are you worrying so much? Would you sit down and relax for a minute?"

"Buaji I have no time for sitting! I have to attend a conference call in two hours! And I feel as if I'm losing everything!"

"Bitiya, take a deep breath and just sit with me for 2 minutes" Buaji had her seated and tried to calm her down.

Khushi did as her aunt told her and managed to calm down somewhat. "I'm sorry, I'm just so worried! The business has faced such a loss, recently. It's all thanks to Sid that we're back on track. I guess he wasn't Babuji's favourite nephew for nothing, the boy knows how to handle things. You've raised him well Buaji" Khushi smiled at her aunt.

"I mean, he's only 20 and he's handling things just like Babuji! He's even made arrangements to expand our business back in Lucknow, something Babuji had always wanted to do" Khushi felt a lump forming in the back of her throat at the mention of her loving father. "Anyways, I'm so glad he's all grown up and wants to work in the business field with me. But I can't let anything like this happen again. There was way too much pressure on him during the downfall, and I still feel terrible about it. That's why I'm freaking out Buaji; I can't lose anything or let anything go wrong. You understand my plight, don't you?" she asked.

"Titaliya, of course I have always understood your plight. But my son is a big boy, he can handle things. You've been taking care of Gupta Industries practically single handedly for way too long. It's time you relax a little bit, and take care of yourself. These past two months have consisted of you immersing yourself at work! You need to stop this; it's not good for you"

"Oh ho Buaji, I'm perfectly fine! Have you not been paying attention to what Dr. Simmons told you? She said I'm practically healed! The anti depressants and all the appointments with her have helped me open up. I'm much better and I feel good"

"That's great bitiya, but..."

"I don't want to hear it"

"But you need to go back! You know that's what your doctor recommended too. It will help; you need to tie all loose ends. And think about how much better the business will be! You've been working from here in Canada for so long, how much longer will you stay? Look bitiya, Payal and myself along with Siddharth are moving to Delhi very soon because he will work there from now on. It's not like you will be coming with us there, you have to take care of things in New York. So it's better to leave sooner than later" Buaji tried to convince her stubborn niece.

"And what about...them?"

"What about them Khushi, will you run from them forever? Look, I don't know what exactly happened back there with you and NK, but you need to fix it. You have decided not to share in detail, and that is perfectly fine. But you're not happy here knowing that you have left your heart there. I know you have been talking to Anjali bitiya on the phone regularly, and even she has asked you to come back. Won't you at least listen to your best friend?"

"It's not as easy as you think! I can't go back there. I've...messed things up, and I can't afford to do that again"

"Are you crazy? So you plan on staying here?"

"I don't know Buaji, but I'm not going back" Khushi stated before walking back to her room and closing the door.

She took in another deep breath before settling down on her bed.