Chapter 18 - Resurgence

Anjali broke away from the hug first, noticing the stiffness coming from Khushi's side. She followed her gaze and realized that Arnav was probably making her uncomfortable.

"Woh...the other car was taken so I asked Chotey to drive me here" Anjali said uncomfortably.

"Hi Arnav" Khushi breathed.

"Hey." He nodded.

"I'll help get your luggage." Anjali offered, breaking the silence. She towed the bags and moved in front of both Khushi and Arnav, giving them some space.

"How have you been?" Khushi asked.

"Good. And yourself?"

"Better. Much better." She smiled slightly.

"I heard about the slight downfall of your company. But I'm glad to see you back on track." Arnav said.

"Yes, it was horrible. My fault really, I wasn't giving work my full attention. But my cousin came in the picture and he's decided to work with me."

"Yes, Siddharth Gupta. I have heard many good things about him."

"You have? Well that's great, he would be so happy to hear that," Khushi smiled. "He's actually a fan of yours, you're practically his idol."

"That's quite flattering. But I hope I'm his idol in business only. There is nothing else that he could possibly look up to me for."

Khushi looked down sadly. But she was at least glad that they had managed to keep a conversation going for a couple of minutes. She saw improvement in their...relationship. And she decided that she would genuinely try to make things work now. She would make a fresh start, with everyone. She would take each day as it came, and use whatever that was given to her. And the decision she had so recently come to terms with in her mind...

It was not because of the letters.

It was not because NK had cheated on her.

It was not because she was seeing him after so long.

Merely because it was Arnav. The man who she had loved since she was a little girl. How was she stupid enough to think that she could possibly be with another? Whether she decided to forgive Arnav, or not, was not the issue here at the moment. Whether she wanted a relationship with Arnav or not, did not matter right now either. All that mattered was that she was in love with Arnav, and could not be with anyone else.

Of course she loved NK. Perhaps not in the same way, but she did. She needed him in her life, it was true. How could she forget their precious time with one another? Three long years of being together, healing, and getting to know each other. He fixed her, and if she lost him she would fall apart again. But...she was not in love with NK.

She knew Devi Maiya did things for a reason. So was the fact that NK had cheated on her, for a reason? Despite the questions at hand, she knew the answer finally. Whether or not the incident had taken place, her perfect relationship with NK would not have lasted.

------

Anjali may have been walking in front of the two, but she was not deaf. She had managed to listen to the entire conversation, and she sighed a breath of relief. It had only been minutes since Khushi got home, yet she could already see a change. When was the last time she had heard her little brother say more than two words? Maybe three? And here he was, speaking effortlessly.

She could only hope that Khushi would bring out a change in NK as well. She knew it was selfish of her to put so much pressure on a single person to help her family, but she was more than desperate.