Chapter 24 - Decisions

NK had joined the family for dinner after several weeks; he was feeling much better today. It was all thanks to Khushi of course, she had been around him constantly, cheering him up and not giving him a moment to be upset.

But what he saw right now, gave him a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach. The way their eyes met and she looked away. The red hue that appeared on her cheeks confirmed his thoughts.

He looked over at Arnav. His cousin, his brother. People had always wondered why they had never gotten along, because they never saw eye to eye. They were never close as kids, and it grew into a slightly bitter relationship. It wasn't that Arnav had never tried; it was that NK had never let him. And because Arnav was always the arrogant, rude one, everyone assumed that it was Arnav's fault. When in reality, it was not.

Flashback

"NK, show Arnav bitwa to your room. You will be sharing it from now on." Manorama said softly, one day late at night.

"But why Ma? Why are him and Anjali Di staying here?" A 7 year old NK asked.

"They will be living with us now. They have no where else to go, their parents have passed away." Manorama patted her son's head softly and he noticed the glum look on her usually head-held-high face. "Go Arnav bitwa, NK will show you to your room."

The little boy with a tear stained face looked up at NK with hope in his eyes.

---------

"Akaash, let's go play ball outside!" NK suggested brightly.

"Bhaiya, I just came back from playing football with Arnav! He's so good at playing, even better than you!" Akaash laughed, leaving a disappointed NK.

----------

"But Bauji, why does Arnav get the bigger room? I want that room!" NK exclaimed.

"You have to understand bitwa, we don't want Arnav to feel left out here. Imagine how hard it is for him, without his parents. Please, let him have the bigger room?" Manohar asked his 10 year old son.

"Fine." He responded sadly.

---------

"I'm so proud of you Chotey! You did so well on your exams." Devyani kissed the top of a 12 year old Arnav's head.

"Thank you Nani." He smiled.

"What about me Dadi?" NK asked holding up his results.

"Of course NK, you always do well! But this was Chotey's first real exam." She smiled at Arnav again and hugged the little boy.

----------

A teenage NK walked home after school. "Di? Will you help me with my project?" He asked with a big smile, upon seeing his cousin.

"Of course NK!" With that, they sat together and got to work, all smiles and laughter.

Arnav had walked in several moments later, looking ill.

"Chotey? Are you alright?" She got up immediately to rush over to him.

"Yes Di, I think my sugar level is low." He mumbled as he held on to her.

"Why didn't you tell me you ran out of medication? I will go get it right away!" She said sternly.