Bathtub

Author's note: sorry it has been taking me awhile to write. I have a placement for school at a hospital and it has taken up all my time. I am going to try my best to update when I can :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

My throat burned with every breath I took. My hands had gone numb, and my fingers tingled. I was frozen in place because the pain in my shoulders was excruciating whenever I moved. My face itched with dried up tears. The horrid smell coming from my body filled my nose.

Jared was never going to come down here. Gabe made me stay down here for another day. I listened as the family walked around upstairs. The sun was rising through the window, so they must have just finished breakfast.

I let out a sigh when I heard the door slam shut. I was going to have to spend another day down here.

There were a few soft voices before the basement door opened. I lifted my head, but pain ran through my muscles. I groaned and dropped back down onto the mattress. I turned my head to watch a blurry figure come toward me.

"Leah," Jared said as he came into focus. "You look awful."

He kneeled down beside me. He ran his fingers through my greasy hair. I licked my lips to try and my moisten my dry mouth.

"Please," my voice croaked. "Please, untie me."

"Why did you do it?" he asked. "Why did you try to kill me?"

"I didn't want to kill you."

"I don't lie to me. That's not going to help you out at all."

"I don't know why I did it," I said as a tear rolled down my cheek. "I'm so sorry."

"How do I know that you are not going to do it again?"

"I love you," I lied.

Jared bit down on his bottom lip to stop himself from smiling. His hands hovered over my tied wrists.

"Do you really love me, Leah?" he asked. "How do I know you're not lying?"

"I promise I do." My eyes darted up to Jared's hands. I was so close to being untied. "I love you so much, Jared. Being down here has given me time to think about how much you do for me."

The corner of his lips tugged into a smile. Jared's fingers fiddled with the rope until he untied my wrists. I gritted my teeth as I lowered my arms. The pain radiated through my shoulders. Jared leaned down and scooped me up in his arms. He kissed my forehead and held me close to his chest.

"I love you so much, Leah," he said. "I am so happy that you understand how much I protect you."

"Can I get clean?" I asked.

"Yeah, let's get you in a nice bath."

Jared lifted me up off of the mattress. He curled me into his body as he stood up onto his feet. I closed my eyes and leaned my head against his chest. Jared walked up the stairs and into the kitchen. I caught a blurry glimpse of Lindsay washing dishes at the sink before Jared walked up the stairs to the bedroom. He kicked the door open with his foot and walked into the bathroom.

He set me down on the cold edge of the bathtub. He reached past me and turned on the facet. He grabbed the end of the T-shirt and pulled it up over my head. I crossed my arms over my chest. Jared removed his shirt, and there was a thick white bandage across Jared's shoulder. A thin line of blood was seeping through the gauze. He undid his belt and removed the rest of his clothes.

Jared wrapped his arms around me as he pulled me into the hot soapy water. He held me against his bare chest. He pressed his lips against the top of my shoulder.

"I'm so happy to have you back," he said.

"Thank you," I said. "Thank you for getting me out of the basement."

"I wanted to get you out sooner but Dad told me to wait."

"Thank you."

Jared's hands ran up my bareskin. The hot water relaxed my sore muscles. I leaned back against Jared's chest. I knew I shouldn't have, but my body was so sore I could not hold my weight up anymore. Jared kissed the side of temple.

"I love you, Leah," he said.

I stayed quiet, and closed my eyes.

"I want you to tell me you love me too," Jared said.

I shook my head. Jared let out a deep breath.

"Do you want to go back down to the basement?" he asked.

My eyes flew open. I couldn't do it again. They would lock me down there for even longer. I had to do whatever he wanted to not be punished again.

"No," I said. "No, please don't send me back down there."

"Tell me you love me," he said.

"I love you." I had to force the words out of my mouth.

"Say it again."

"I love you."

Jared tightened his arms around me and kissed my temple again. Jared's hands continued to roam around my body. I wanted to push him off of me, but I did not want to upset him. I did not want to go back into the basement.

I tried to focus on thinking about home. I could not wait to get out of Alaska with Owen. I thought it would be a great chance to explore the country with the man I loved. Now I am stuck in this farmhouse with a cannibal.

I had not thought about Owen much since I was brought to this house. I wonder if he was looking for me. He must have been concerned about my disappearance. He has probably tried calling my phone and it must be going straight to voicemail. He may have told the police, but there is still the possibility that he did not. My Mom probably called the cops when I have not answered the phone for a few days.

It didn't matter. I was out in the middle of nowhere. This house was cut off from the rest of the world. They were in their own world with their own traditions.

The water was getting cold when Jared pulled out the plug to the bath. He wrapped a towel around my body before wrapping a towel around his waist. He put an over my shoulders as we walked toward the bedroom. I sat on the edge of the bed as he pulled clothes out of the dresser. I changed into the sweater and jeans. I brought my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around myself as I watched Jared button up his plaid shirt.

"I have to go back outside," Jared said. "Mom will make you whatever you want for breakfast. You need to eat."

"I will," I said.

"Good girl."

Jared cupped my face with his hands before kissing me. He grabbed my hand and pulled me up onto my feet. His fingers were laced through mine as we walked out of the room and down the stairs. We walked into the living room. Jenny was sitting on the couch and Lindsay was beside her trying to brush Jenny's hair. She looked up when she heard us walk in.

"Mom, can you make Leah some breakfast?" Jared asked.

"Of course I can, Honey," Lindsay said. "How does scrambled eggs sound?"

"Thank you," I said.

"No worries," Lindsay said. "It will be ready in a few minutes."

Lindsay left the living room and went into the kitchen. Jared leaned down and kissed my forehead.

"Be good while I am gone, okay?" he said. "I don't want to have put you in the basement again."

I just nodded my head and then watched him leave the room.