Our Baby

Jared kept his hands on my waist as I brushed my teeth. Nausea had settled into my stomach. I had spent a long time over the toilet. Jared had rubbed my back with a wide smile as I was sick.

"This is amazing," Jared said after I spit out the toothpaste. He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me against his chest. "We're finally going to have a baby boy."

"Jared, it could just be the flu," I said.

"No." He shook his head. "I can tell this is a baby."

I let out a shaky breath and rested my hand against his cheek. I knew this was going to happen. We were discussing it the other day, but at the time it felt so far away. I officially had a baby inside of me.

"I want you to stay in bed today," he said.

"Jared, I will be fine," I said.

"No," he said. "I'll go get Mom."

He unraveled his arms from around me. He kissed the top of my head.

"Now, go lie down," he said.

I walked over to the bed. I climbed in and Jared tucked the blankets around me. He kissed me again before leaving the room. I rolled onto my side and clutched the blankets to my chest.

A few minutes passed before the door opened again. Lindsay stepped in and closed the door behind her. Her lips were lifted into a smile. She sat on the edge of the bed, and she put her hand on my side.

"Jared told me the news," she said.

"Lindsay, this can't be happening," I said.

The tears pricked at the back of my eyes. My fingers were gripping the sheets. My stomach twisted and I was afraid I would have to run to the bathroom again.

"I remember the first time I was pregnant," Lindsay said. "I cried for days. I was so scared."

"What am I going to do?" I asked. "I have no idea how to give birth and take care of a baby."

"It will all come to you. When you're holding your baby, all of your fears will go away."

I pushed myself up so that I was sitting. My hands went over my stomach. Lindsay's battered face brightened as she put her hand over mine.

The door opened and Gabe walked into the room. Lindsay looked over her shoulder. Gabe still had on his jacket and was wearing a baseball cap.

"I was just talking to Jared," Gabe said. "He told me you were sick this morning."

"We're going to be grandparents," Lindsay said.

"Finally, some good news," he said. "After our losses, we finally have something to look forward to."

"There is going to be a baby in the house again."

I threw the blankets off of myself and ran to the bathroom. I slammed the door behind me before I started throwing up. When I was done, I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. I sat with my back against the tub and brought my knees up to my chest. I didn't even bother wiping the tears off of my cheeks.

There was a knock on the door before Lindsay opened it. I buried my face into my knees.

"Leah, it is going to be alright," she said.

"Where's Jared?" I asked.

Lindsay looked back into the bedroom.

"Honey, is Jared outside?" she asked. "I think she needs him."

"She needs him?" he asked.

He stood behind Lindsay staring at my crumpled frame. He raised an eyebrow and I could see the corner of his lip twitch into a smirk.

"I'll go get him," Gabe said.

He stepped away. I hastily wiped the tears away. I kept my arms wrapped around myself. Lindsay took a step away from the doorway. I listened to the stairs creak as someone walked up.

Jared stepped into the bathroom. The expression on his face fell when he saw me crying. He got down on his knees in front of me. I scurried forward and wrapped my arms around Jared's neck. He rubbed my back as I cried into the crook of his neck.

"Leah, it's okay," Jared said.

"I don't want to be pregnant," I cried.

"Don't say that," he said. "This is scary, but this is the next step."

"I'm not ready."

Jared pushed me back and cupped my face with his hands. He wiped my tears away with his thumb. I squeezed my eyes shut and took in a deep breath.

"Just breathe," Jared said.

I focused on my breathing and tried to control the tears. Jared kept his hands cupped around my face.

"Don't let her cry."

I opened my eyes to see Gabe. He was leaning against the doorframe and had his arms crossed over his chest. Jared looked over his shoulder at him.

"What am I supposed to do?" Jared asked.

"She should not be crying. This is a happy moment," Gabe said. "If she can not control herself you will have to punish her until she learns."

"No!" I shouted.

I pushed my arms against my chest. I could see Gabe watching as Jared slices my arm open. He has punished Lindsay for crying over her son's death. Of course he is going to make him punish me for crying about being pregnant.

"Leah, don't shout at us," Gabe said.

Jared moved his hands off of my face and grabbed my wrists. I fought against him as he pulled my arms away from my chest.

"Leah, if you don't stop I'll have to punish you," he said. I bit down on my bottom lip as I stopped trying to pull my arms free. "Now, stop crying."

I nodded my head as I squeezed my eyes shut. Jared got up off of his knees and pulled me up off the floor. He let go of my wrists and put his hands on my lower back. He pulled me forward and I buried my face in his chest.

"Are you going to stop crying?" he asked.

I nodded my head. Jared let out a deep breath.

"Talk to me," he said. "I want to hear you say it."

"I'll stop crying," I said before I sniffled.

"Good girl." Jared kissed the top of my head. "Now, let's get you back to bed."

Jared pulled me out of the bathroom. Gabe was now gone. Jared lifted the edge of the blankets and I crawled back into bed. He tucked the blankets around me and kissed me. He sat on the edge of the bed and brushed a piece of hair behind my ear.

"You going to be okay?" he asked.

"Yes," I said. "I'm just scared."

"Don't worry. We're soon going to have our baby. You're going to feel so dumb for crying like this when you're holding our boy."

"Okay," I said.

I had to believe Jared. Everything he does was to protect me, so this would not be any different. He was just trying to take care of me. He soon was going to take care and protect our little baby. My hands went over my stomach, and this caused him to smile.

"I love you," he said.

"I love you too," I said.

"Stay in bed. I'll check in on you throughout the day. I don't want to see you out of this bed."

"I will."

Jared kissed my temple before getting up off of the bed. He left the room, and closed the door behind him. I let out a deep breath and closed my eyes.

I pictured Jared and I holding our tiny baby. The little bundle was sleeping in my arms, and Jared had his arms wrapped around me.

I kept this picture in my mind until I fell asleep.