Talking to Theo

I helped Lindsay clear the table after dinner. I filled the sink with hot soapy water as Lindsay filled a plate full of food.

"I am just going to bring this up to Theo," she said lifting the plate.

"I can bring it up," I said.

"Are you sure?"

I nodded my head and grabbed the plate from Lindsay. I looked into the dining room to see Jared playing a card game with Gabe.

"I'll be back down in a minute to help you with the dishes," I said.

"Okay, honey," she said.

Lindsay plunged her hands into the water and started washing the dishes. I went up the stairs with the plate and a glass of water. I could hear Theo's coughing as I walked down the hallway. I knocked on the door before nudging it open with my foot.

Theo was on the bed. He was curled up on his side. The pillow was clutched to his chest. I flicked the lights on, and he opened his eyes.

"I have your dinner," I said.

"I told Dad I'm not hungry," Theo said.

"Your mom wanted me to bring this up."

I set the plate and water down on the nightstand. I sat down on the edge of the bed. Theo started coughing again.

"How are you feeling?" I asked.

"Awful," he said. "I must have caught something."

"Your Dad said something about people coming over tomorrow."

"Who?"

"Taylor and Emme."

Theo furrowed his brows together. He rolled on his back, and put the pillow behind his head.

"They're already bringing Emme around you?" he asked.

"I guess so," I said. "Who is she?"

"She's my cousin Taylor's wife," he said. "She's really unpredictable. I thought they would keep her away from you for awhile. They must really think that the basement broke you."

"Break me?"

"You know, break your free will. Warp you into thinking this is where you want to be. Make you Jared's perfect wife."

Theo coughed again. I picked at the hem of my sweater. I have become more compliant since Jared untied me. It wasn't because I wanted to be here. I did it so that they wouldn't send me back down to the basement. I wasn't going to let them break me.

"Theo, you have to get me out of here before that happens," I said.

He laughed and shook his head.

"You know I can't do that," he said. "They'd kill me."

"Come with me," I said. "Get out of this before they kidnap a girl for you."

There was a knock on the door. I looked over my shoulder to see it opening. Jared was standing in the doorway. He was scowling and his arms were crossed over his chest.

"Leah, what are you doing in here?" he asked.

"I was bringing Theo his dinner," I said.

"You brought it to him. What are you still doing in here?"

"We were talking."

"Now you're done." Jared held out his hand. "Come here."

I looked back over at Theo. His eyes were closed and his hand was resting on his chest. I turned back around to see Jared waving his hand and motioning for me to come forward. I let out a deep breath and stood up. I kept my head down as I walked toward Jared. He grabbed my elbow and pulled me out into the hallway. He slammed Theo's door shut. He grabbed my other arm and pushed me up against the wall. Pain spread across the back of my skull when my head hit the wall.

"Tell me you love me," he said.

"I love you," I said.

Jared leaned forward and smashed his lips against mine. His grip tightened on my arms. I tried to shrug him off of me as his lips attacked mine. He let go of my arms, but he wrapped his arms around my waist. He crushed me against his chest. He pulled away from me.

"Let's go to our room," he said.

I took in a sharp breath. I pressed my hands against his chest. I wasn't able to make any more space between our bodies.

"Jared-," I started to say.

"Come on," he cut me off.

He leaned down and lifted me up off the ground. He curled me into his body as he walked down the hallway. My heart pounded as he went into our room and dropped me on the bed. I scurried back and he grabbed my leg. He yanked me back toward him. He threw his leg over me and pinned me down onto the bed.

"Get off me!" I yelled.

I balled up my fist and punched Jared in the stomach. He grabbed my wrists and held them above my head.

"Don't start misbehaving," Jared said. "I missed you while you were down in the basement."

"Please, don't do this to me," I said.

Jared leaned forward and pressed his lips against my neck. I squeezed my eyes shut and rolled my head to the side. Warm tears ran down my cheek and I gasped for breath. Jared kissed up my neck to my cheek.

"Leah, it is okay," he said softly to me. "I am not going to hurt you."

"You are hurting me," I said.

He pulled my hand so that it was in front of my face. He spun the wedding ring around my finger. I had forgotten that I was still wearing it.

"I am your husband," he said. "This is what we were supposed to do."

"If you loved me you would not force yourself on me," I said. "Get off me."

"Leah, don't be difficult."

Jared pulled my shirt up over my head. I tried to cover my chest, but Jared snatched my wrists. I closed my eyes as Jared started removing his own clothes. The sound of him undoing his belt rang in my ears. I kept my eyes closed and tried to think of how sweet it was going to be once I got out of this house.

--

I lied awake next to Jared as he snored. I clutched the blankets to my bare chest. I thought about finding some clothes and checking to see if the doors were unlocked. I could use the excuse that I was downstairs for a glass of water if anyone caught me. I did not want to risk it. They could send me down to the basement if they did not believe me. The chances of them leaving a door unlocked was slim. They knew how to trap me in here.

I rolled onto my side so that I was facing away from Jared. My body ached from Jared forcing himself on me. There was a faint sound of Theo coughing.

I stayed awake for most of the night. I fell into pockets of sleep where I dreamt about being with Owen. We were in his truck listening to music, just like we did when we first started dating in Alaska. I haven't thought about Owen much lately, so I was not sure why he was in my dreams. I tossed and turned for the rest of the night as I listened to Jared's snoring.