Snakes, Sharks...and Needles.

The next day put both Gilbert's through their paces. The day had started well enough with Lila Jane finally getting moved to a VIP suite. They asked PJ to stand guard knowing how much better he would feel doing the job himself.

Lila knew nothing good was coming when a perky nurse walked through the door. The perky ones always brought the worse news. "Ok, Mrs. Gilbert, time to show you your new friends and get your first pod started." This woman was way too happy. Lila cut her eyes at Brantley. "Friends?" She mouthed to him with a pissed off look. Brantley had to quickly cover his mouth before she saw the smile. She was liable to shoot him with his own gun if he made the wrong move right now.

He wasn't smiling for long though when the needles came out. "Oh shit." He whispered as he watched the nurse instructing her how to pull the insulin from the vial. He tried to listen to what the nurse was saying but his mind was still on the needle. "Ok, and it's all prepped and it's time to place it. Now you have options, you have to replace this every three days and you'll want to move it each time to give that site a chance to heal." The nurse said like it was nothing. To her maybe it wasn't.

To Brantley they were talking about making holes in his baby girl. He had to sit down. "Babe? You ok?" Lila asked seeing him pale and sit down. "Ya, ya I'm ok. I just think I found something that scares me more than a snake riding a shark." He told her. Just the thought of that making him shiver. She smiled in understanding.

"Come here, big daddy. I need you to hold my hand while Nurse Ratched here gets me all fixed up." She said holding her hand out. "Sorry.." she told the nurse who was helping her. She laughed, "I've been called much worse for less." Brantley took a seat on the side of the bed holding his wife's hand.

"Ok, Lila Jane, is it ok if I call you that?" She talked as she wiped down her arm with alcohol. "Ya, I've already called you names." She tried joking but couldn't take her eyes from what the nurse was doing. "Alright, no needle yet, so breath. We're just making sure everything is clean and making sure the pod sticks nice and flat." She said running her finger around the pod to make sure it was secure.

"Ok, now when I hit start you're gonna hear some clicking then feel the quick poke, alright?" "Hey, hey, look at me babe

"Ok, now when I hit start you're gonna hear some clicking then feel the quick poke, alright?" "Hey, hey, look at me babe. Don't listen for it just relax." He said running his ringed hand through her hair. "Sing for me?" She asked. He didn't hesitate.

"You may think that I'm talking foolish
You've heard that I'm wild and I'm free
You may wonder how I can promise you now
This love that I feel for you always will be
But you're not just time that I'm killin'
I'm no longer one of those guys
As sure as I live, this love that I give
Is gonna be yours until the day that I die
Oh, baby, I'm gonna love you forever
Forever and ever, amen"

He knew when the needle must have gone from her slight flinch and gasp of surprise. "See, that wasn't so bad was it, baby girl?" He asked kissing her face. "Now, you have a choice Lila Jane. We can put the glucose meter in now or give you a break and just do a strip test and do the meter tomorrow."

She looked at Brantley with tears in her eyes making him feel like his heart was breaking. He saw her mind racing and knew when she made a decision. "Let's do it." She said looking at the nurse. The nurse smiled. "I had a feeling you would be one of the warriors." His wife smiled. "Can't be calling myself an outlaw if I back down." Brantley had never felt the amount of pride he did in that moment.

His wife was more of a warrior than he could hope to be. She was going to look this in the eyes and laugh. "You are one bad ass woman, baby girl." He said kissing her head. "Now this one won't be so bad." She said unboxing another ominous looking device. "I'm gonna put this one on your side. Now these can go most anywhere unlike your insulin so just find where makes you comfortable."

Lila decided this woman wasn't as bad as she thought. They watched as she showed them step by step how to prep this one. She actually made Lila laugh when after securing the seal she turned to Brantley. "Hit it, hubby." He laughed. "Yes, ma'am."

"As long as old men sit and talk about the weather
As long as old women sit and talk about old men
If you wonder how long I'll be faithful
I'll be happy to tell you again
I'm gonna love you forever and ever
Forever and ever, amen
They say time take its toll on a body
Makes a young girl's brown hair turn gray
Well, honey, I don't care, I ain't in love with your hair
And if it all fell out, well, I'd love you anyway
They say time can play tricks on a mem'ry
Make people forget things they knew
Well, it's easy to see it's happenin' to me
I've already forgotten ev'ry woman but you
Oh, darlin', I'm gonna love you forever
Forever and ever, amen"

He knew he went well past how long it took, but the nurse had signaled him to keep singing. He always loved singing to his baby so kept going. She quickly and efficiently pricked Lila's finger and got a base reading. After putting in the number to both machines she too waited enjoying the private concert.

The nurse clapped quietly. "Well I just want to thank you two for one of the calmest and most entertaining demonstrations I've ever given." She stood up taking all the waste and needles with her. Before she turned to leave she looked at them. "On a personal note, you two are beautiful and I have no doubt you'll kick this things ass." They both smiled and looked at each other.

"Hey, if you're around in a few hours you should stop by. We're expecting a bit of a party." He invited. "Well I've been assigned Lila Jane's personal nurse for her stay with us and I would be honored. If you need anything push the button and it will call me directly." She told them.

Lila Jane looked at him. "One day down, 50 years to go."