Our First Love Songs

“Sing about a time in your life where you felt absolutely happy. Sing of a time when you fell in love. Or maybe re fell in love. Sing a song that once made you the happiest person in the whole world. Bring a song prepared with a story behind it. I expect a story behind every song that you sing in this class. For this next assignment I want a happy story, or a love story.” Mr. Meyers said to our class on Friday. I’ve been thinking about this assignment all weekend. I’ve been going back through my life thinking about a time in my life like that. I had to dig deep, but I think I found it. Boy does this song have a story behind it. Not the story I’d like to sing, or even the person I want to sing about, but the song describes a time in my life where I felt absolutely happy… absolutely loved.

“Lana on the stage.” Mr. Meyer said looking down at his notepad. I’m terrified of the comments he’s going to write down, but a good performer needs good criticism. Right? Right. I walked up on stage and took hold of the mic.

“The song I’m performing for you guys today is “She Loves Me” from the musical She Loves Me. The reason I chose this song is because the assignment was to pick a song that made you feel absolutely happy and absolutely loved. Well, in the moment, the person who was singing this song made me feel that way. I’m not even entirely sure he knew it or not but he made me fall in love with that song, with his voice and later with him. So yeah. Here we go.” I said smiling not daring to look over at him while I said that. I took the mic out of its stand and backed up a bit. I started my performance hopping around the stage, mimicking the actions of him when he was on stage. It’s a wonder I still remembered exactly how he performed it. “She loves me! She loves meeeeeeeee!” I finished out of breath. The class applauded and I looked over at my teacher whom was still writing down notes. He finished writing and looked up at me with a smile.

“Very good Ms. Monroe. Quite entertaining. You may be seated.” He said waving his hand, dismissively.

“Thank you.” I said before walking off the stage.

“Last but not least, Asher Reed.” Mr. Meyers said. I watched as his tall figure gracefully walked up on stage. He grabbed the mic and brought it closer to him.

“The song I’m performing today is “Hopelessly devoted to You” from Grease. I chose this song for many reasons. The assignment was to pick a song that made us feel happy. Well this song made me fall in love with the girl of my dreams once she sang the very first word. And for some reason, even though we hadn’t really known each other at the time, I felt like she was singing this to me. Like I was the one she was hopelessly devoted to. Now, every time I hear this song I think of her. Which makes me happy because she made me happy, but it also makes me sad. Sad because I’m not with her anymore and I don’t know if I ever will be again, but yet no matter what I still feel hopelessly devoted to her.” He said before looking me right in the eyes. He did not. He is not. He’s not going to sing this song. He really is about to sing this song. He performed it exactly the way I did those years ago. Sitting on a stool with a guitar, just getting lost in the music. “Hopelessly devoted to you.” He ended looking at me. I felt like freaking crying. I couldn’t believe he actually did that. This is weird. We both used each others’ songs. Wow. Why am I still thinking about him?

“That was… incredibly heartfelt Mr. Reed. I could feel both the joy and sadness in the way you sung that. Maybe if you sing it to your girl like that you can win her back.” Mr. Meyers said with a wink.

“Yea, I’m not too sure about that Mr. Meyers. She practically hates me now, but thanks. I’ll keep that in consideration.” Asher said with a slight smile. The bell rung and I rushed out of class.  I could not be in a room with that boy for one more second. Ugh! I can’t stand it. I can’t stand him. Why, all of a sudden, am I thinking about him again? There are more important things for me to be thinking about than him. Like New York. And Derek. And my friends. And everyone but him. I shook my head before walking to my next class.