Chapter Eighteen: Reasoning Out of Compulsion

Later that night, I got a call from a very panicked Rebekah. "Europa, I need you here now." 

"What's wrong, Rebekah? What happened?" I asked, getting out of bed in my room and walking down the stairs. 

Soft cries sounded from Rebekah, which only concerned me more. Rebekah never cries. "I think Nik killed my mother." 

That was all she needed to say for my back to straighten. "I'm on my way." As I got to the car, I focused on my feelings for Klaus. My mind was screaming at me to love him, which I had come to recognize as the compulsion he left in place before he left, but my heart and my gut are telling me otherwise. 

He tried to kill my sister on multiple occasions, killed Jenna, was inadvertently responsible for Uncle John's death, and has caused Rebekah so much pain. My mind lingered on Rebekah, she was by far the best friend I had ever had, despite only knowing her for such a short amount of time. She always listened to me and wanted to hang out with me, putting forth the effort in communication. I needed to keep a conversation going. 

It struck me as odd that it took Klaus hurting his own sister to finally snap me out of the compulsion he had laid on me. After all, we were like Jane and Thor, but Thor left Jane, and they eventually break up. 

At least in the comic books. 

I paused my train of thought and shook my head at myself in disappointment. God, I'm such a nerd. 

I arrived at the Salvatore Boarding House to find Rebekah staring absently into the fire as she downed a bottle of Bourbon. "Rebekah," I whispered sadly. She looked over at me, tear tracks running down her cheeks. I rushed over to her and hugged her tightly, "It's okay." 

"How is this okay? How is any of this okay? He killed her and then lied to me about it." She sobbed softly into my shoulder. 

I brushed my fingers through her hair, which was soft and silky. "I know, but you'll survive because you are strong and you have survived one thousand years of plot twists being thrown at you. Also, I'm here. And I am the best person when it comes to comforting." 

Rebekah snorted and wrapped her hands around me, holding on for dear life. "I want to hate him so much, but another part of me still loves him. Does that make me sick?" 

"No, it makes you a person with complex emotions. I would be worried if you weren't emotionally confused about the situation." 

My phone buzzed, and I glanced down to see who it was. 

It was Klaus. 

"You should get that." Rebekah sniffled as she read the caller ID. 

My eyes found hers, and I shook my head. "No, he can wait. My friend needs me more right now." I told her softly. To prove my point, I hit the decline button and turned back to her. 

A minute had passed before he called me again. So, once again, I hit the decline button. 

This time he just immediately called me back. 

"You should get that before he gets angry and decides to tear out your heart." Rebekah started to cry harder. So, once more, I hit ignore and began to comfort Rebekah. At least, until he called her. "What Nik?" She asked, getting her voice clear of emotion. Her eyes glanced over to me, and I knew she contemplated telling him she wasn't with me. "She's here." 

Handing me the phone, Rebekah mouthed sorry to me as I put it to my ear. "Europa speaking." 

"Why did you send me to voicemail not once but four times?" He asked, obviously angry with me.