Chapter Twenty-One: Here's Jeremy!

I didn't get home until around midnight, by which time I was quite exhausted. All I really wanted to do was to get some sleep, but it seemed that was out of the cards for me just yet. I was in my pajamas and ready for bed when a knock sounded at the door. 

"Coming," I called, slightly alarmed as to who would be knocking at my door at midnight. Grabbing my baseball bat from my closet, I rushed downstairs and slowly opened the door. 

It is sad to say that I almost screamed when I saw Klaus grinning at me from the other side of the threshold. "Darling, care to invite me in?" 

"I'd rather not, thanks for asking," I said with a smile, twirling my baseball bat smugly. 

The grin immediately left Klaus' face. "Let me in, Europa." He tried to compel me again. 

"Sorry, no dice, I'm back on vervain. Did you know, it hurts like a bitch to break a compulsion? Requires a lot of power and witches. I had to drive seven hours to meet with a few who were willing to help me." I told him with a smile, watching as realization crossed his face. 

"But, thankfully, they were able to do it without me dying, and here I am, remembering everything I told you. If you ever try to use me against my sister again, I will seriously enjoy experimenting to find out just how immortal you are." All of my smug jokings was gone as I threatened him, drawing up every ounce of Gryffindor bravery I had to stand off with him. "Enjoy your night, Klaus." 

Then, without a backward glance, I went to shut the door. "Europa," He said before I could close the door completely. I paused and looked at him, "How did you figure it out?" 

"I was with your sister when you called. Rebekah said something just after the call, and I realized that I was holding her phone right after a five-minute conversation with you that I couldn't remember. I checked my phone records and realized it had happened more than once." I explained to him with a smug grin. 

"And what about my compulsion to make you love me?" 

I grinned at that. "I talked myself out of loving you, Thor and Jane were lovers, but in the comics, they don't last forever. Eventually, Thor gets with Valkyrie. Nerd powers for the win, right?" I shrugged and then pointed the bat at him, careful to keep it inside the house. "Now, I am going to bed, you are going to leave me alone. Bye, Klaus, it's been fun." 

The door shut firmly behind me, and I sighed in relief. It was so nice to stand up to him. 

The next day, I was at work humming to myself when Elena called me. "Hello Elena, have you heard from Bekah?" 

"Nope, so Klaus is here, and he is looking for her too, and he also seems a little pissed that you broke his compulsion," Elena told me happily, we both had a small celebration this morning over the whole situation, excited about my newfound freedom. 

I hummed as I worked out an equation for a new project that was given to me when I got in this morning. "No way, is he there now?" 

"Yup, he can hear you actually. He's kinda pissed that you don't know where Rebekah is. So with your newfound freedom, any guys you like?"  Elena asked me, probably enjoying rubbing it in that I am no longer compelled to love Klaus. 

I spun in my chair and sighed. "Yeah, there's this one person. About five foot two, brown hair, brown eyes. She's sitting in my chair, talking on my phone." 

"Enjoying the single life then?"  I heard Damon ask. 

A grin let up my face, "There's no way I'm looking for a boyfriend. I'm gonna focus on me for now. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful in finding Bekah. I tried calling her again this morning, but it went straight to voicemail for me."