Chapter Forty-Two: Transition

When I opened my eyes again, I was on a bed. It was my bed in Klaus' mansion. I slowly sat up, and my hand flew to my stomach. I remembered Alaric stabbing the stake through my stomach quite clearly, but now there was nothing there. It was like it never happened. 

Maybe it didn't, and I dreamed it. Slowly, I got out of the bed and wandered to the door. All the blinds were drawn, and the house was strangely quiet. It was never this quiet. My hand reached for the door and pulled it open, only to flinch away at the sudden light that hit my eyes. 

It hurt, more than what was expected of sudden light. Suddenly, my head began to pound. Covering my eyes, I stepped out to the hallway and made my way towards the kitchen. I turned a corner and ran into one of Klaus' hybrids, who grabbed my arms worriedly, "Miss Gilbert, are you okay?" 

He might as well have shouted the question at me as his voice bounced painfully around my head, irritating my migraine further. Holding my hand up, I shook my head at him. "Sh, be quiet. It hurts. I'm starving, can you come with me and make me something to eat?" 

"Klaus told us," Whatever the hybrid was going to say was cut off when I glared at him. 

"Do I look like I care right now what Klaus wants? He also told you guys to help me if I need it, and I need food right now." I growled at him. I was irritable, it wasn't fair that I snapped at him like that.

A throat cleared from behind me, causing me to turn and look at who was standing there. Klaus gave me a look that showed how clearly unimpressed he was with me snapping at his hybrid. "Leave us," He ordered the man, who nodded and left. In an instant, Klaus was at my side, and his hands trailed my arms gently. "Europa, how are you feeling?" 

"Hungry, like really really hungry," I muttered and moved past him into the kitchen. I began to rummage around the cabinets looking for something appetizing. 

"Darling, we need to talk," Klaus said slowly, "About yesterday." 

I stopped and looked at him, curiously, "Sure, what's up?" 

"Europa, you were gone the entire day, no one could find you. Elena was taken by my mother, who killed Alaric." My hand flew to my mouth in shock, "Alaric ended up killing my mother when he came back in transition, he was going to not complete the transition, but the Bennett witch decided to be his midnight snack. Alaric is no longer himself. His life is tied to Elena's, he has all the same abilities that my family does, but his only mission is to kill all vampires." 

Nodding, I started to move to the door, "Okay, I need to find a way to change Rick back without killing him or Elena." I said determinedly. 

Klaus caught my arm, "No, you aren't going anywhere near him." The hybrid looked so tortured I actually stopped breathing in shock, "Europa, when I found you yesterday, you had a massive hole in your stomach, and there was blood everywhere. You died." 

At that time, it was like no one was there. I died. Like actually died. This wasn't a terribly vivid nightmare, it was real. I was a vampire now. Well, almost a vampire. 

It all made sense now, the light and sound sensitivity, the hunger, the headache, the agitation. I was in transition. 

Now instead of Klaus holding me, I grabbed him for support. I needed his help. I felt the shift in our relationship when I looked in his eyes and just cried, I knew that there was a level of trust there that wasn't there before. I showed him my vulnerability. I didn't have to say anything, because I knew he understood what I couldn't put into words. 

"You need to feed." 

I just nodded and waited by the door as Klaus went to get something for me to drink. When he came back into my line of sight, he had a cup in his hand, probably trying to make it somewhat easier for me to complete the task. 

I took the glass and gave him one last look before I tipped the cup back and let the deep red contents slide into my throat. 

It was like a switch flipped in my mind, and when I put the cup back down, my senses were heightened. I could see everything in better detail like I was watching a black and white tv then jumped to a high definition one. Klaus looked one hundred times better than he did before, and I didn't even know what I was missing. 

I could also hear the labored breathing coming from the other room. Then I hear my sister's voice, "What are you doing?"  Before Klaus could stop me, I sped to the place where my sister was and stopped dead in the door. 

She was hooked up to an IV and was losing a lot of blood, Tyler was trying to get her free but was having apparent issues with it. The smell of it hit me, catching me by surprise. My hand grabbed the door frame hard to avoid rushing in and killing my own sister, I had to get control. I felt Klaus' presence behind me and glowered at him angrily. 

"Tyler," Elena warned as she made eye contact with Klaus. 

"So much for that sire bond," Klaus said from behind me. 

I felt my rage start to grow at a scary rate. It didn't make sense, I've never been so angry in my life, but right now, I could try and kill Klaus. He put his hand on my shoulder, and I aggressively threw it off and backed away from him. "Now you're mad, Love? Those emotions getting out of hand, aren't they darling?" 

Tyler glared at Klaus and stared him down, "I'm not your little bitch anymore." 

I looked over at the teen like he was stupid. Why they were so obsessed with pissing Klaus off intentionally was beyond me. "How did you break the sire bond?" Klaus inquired curiously. 

"By breaking every bone in my body a hundred times for the girl I love." My gaze snapped to Klaus' face then away when Tyler said that.

I felt Klaus look at me then back at Tyler, "That's impossible." He rebuffed. 

Tyler raised an eyebrow, "Is it?" The young hybrid walked up to Klaus with an incredible amount of cockiness, "Or maybe real Love is stronger than fake loyalty. But what would you know about that?"

Maybe some part of me wanted him to say that he knew what Love was, but why would he? We weren't anything. My feelings didn't mean that they were his feelings. "You know, you should be thanking me. I gave you a gift, I took away your misery."

Tyler made it clear that Klaus had the wrong answer for the situation, "You didn't give a crap about me! You just didn't want to be alone!"

"Come on," Tyler told Elena, prompting me to move to my sister's and grab her other arm. 

Faster than I could ever move, Klaus had rushed forward and pushed Elena down, I heard the sound of her head coming into contact with a ledge, knocking her unconscious. In that same instant, Klaus had Tyler pinned to a wall, one hand pulled back to punch through his chest, "Goodbye, Tyler." 

Before Klaus could pull Tyler's heart of his chest, Tyler grabbed his arm and twisted it while I pulled Klaus off of him. Damon and Stefan moved forward, Damon securing Klaus while Stefan shoved his hand into Klaus' chest. 

Just like earlier, my emotions flipped, and all I wanted was to protect Klaus and keep him from dying. I went to rush forward, but Tyler intercepted me and pulled me up off my feet. "No! No, don't kill him! Tyler, they can't!" I screamed, struggling in the hybrid's arms as I tried to get loose to no avail. 

I watched as veins that looked scarily similar to what happens when a vampire dies crept up his body and his face until Klaus just stopped moving. When that happened, Tyler let me go, and I sped to Klaus' side. "What did you do to him?!" I shouted at Stefan angrily, I felt my face change as I snarled at the older vampire. 

"Calm down, he's just desecrated; if we didn't, then he was going to kill Elena," Damon said from his place at Elena's side. 

My eyes shifted between the group before I eventually calmed down. "Okay," I said slowly, not moving from Klaus' side. 

"So, are we going to talk about how the hell you are a vampire now or not?" 

A/N: So... It's been a minute, but here I am! I hope you enjoyed the chapter!