18

Harper

I couldn't talk to him. I couldn't look at him. I couldn't do anything without wanting to rip his head clean off and let the dogs drink his blood. I couldn't believe he threatened to kill my family. I wanted to go home, I wanted to get away from here, but I knew I couldn't just leave without Hunter tracking me down. 

What did I do to deserve this? It didn't make sense, I did nothing wrong. Hunter and I haven't improved our relationship, and for once, I was happy. I didn't want anything to do with him. I remembered what my father said, 'Be happy, please,'. But how could I? 

"The Annual Demon Ball will be happening in one month, and as Hunter's mate, you will be attending," Marla explains, whilst flipping through magazines on my bed. I pull open the curtains, letting the light shine through as I fold my arms. 

"Over my dead body," I hiss, slumping down on the edge of the bed. Marla sighs, throwing the magazine on the floor as she gives me a look. 

"Don't make it harder than it already is, please, Harper?" She pleads, looking at me with puppy eyes. I bite my lip, thinking hard about it. Should I do it? What if Hunter lashes out again? 

"Fine," I say with despair, watching as she claps her hands excitedly. 

"Thank god you said that. Now we can go shopping for your dress!" She squeals, grabbing my hands. I force a smile, pretending to be happy for once. 

Great. 

-

I shoot upwards, panting heavily as I try to escape my nightmares. The look in his eyes as he slashed my back, the evil smirk plastered across his face. He taunted me, and I knew he was still out there. I was wide awake, I couldn't go to sleep. I wiped the tears that managed to fall, sniffling as I swing my legs over my bed. 

I glance up towards the mirror, staring at myself. A broken Angel stared back at me, with red puffy eyes and a broken soul. I wasn't a real Angel, I didn't have wings. I sigh, rubbing my eyes. When I look back up, I scream, seeing the familiar demon staring back at me. I screamed with pure fear, scared out of my mind that he was going to hurt me again. 

He was the one that took everything away from me. 

He was here, in this room, ready to finish what he started. I let out a yelp, a large amount of force throwing me into the wall. I groan with pain, rubbing my tail bone as I hug my knees to my chest. It's just a nightmare, don't worry. It's just a dream. 

It's not real. 

But the pain that was soaring through my body was real. It was real. I just hadn't realised it. I screamed as a knife was brought to my chest, my eyes blurred with tears as I stare back into the same cold eyes. I choked out a sob, this was it. 

The door suddenly barged down, revealing a fuming Hunter. Within seconds, the demon disappears, the knife falling to the ground beside me. I let out a breath of air that I was holding in, my lungs clenching together as I sob hysterically. Hunter wraps his arms around me, cradling me in his chest. 

I punch at his chest, but suddenly melting into his grasp as the bond takes control. Hunter rubbed soothing circles into my back, my small chest against his as he rakes a hand through my hair. 

I let him hold me.