23

Harper 

Hunter wrapped his strong arms around me, protecting me from the Danger. I sobbed into his chest, knowing for a fact that there were dead Angels lying in that Church. What were Angels doing in a Demon Town? Hunter rubbed soothing circles in my back, carrying me bridal style towards the car. "No, I need to see," I choked out a sob, and Hunter slowly put me to my feet. 

His hand never left my waist. 

His eyes returned to the soft relaxing blue colour, making me feel... better. His black hair was messy, his concerning eyes searching mine. His shirt was covered with black Demon blood, swallowing the urge to throw up. "Are you okay?" He softly asks, making me briefly nod. 

I glanced at the dead bodies lying on the ground, without their heads. I covered my trembling lips. A few days ago I would have been happy to see dead Demons, but I wasn't. It felt... sickening. Hunter's Demon Guards were busy wiping the blood off their suits, kicking the bodies of the dead demons. 

I took a cautious step towards the Church until Hunter pulled me back into his chest. "You can't go in there, darling," He says soothingly, making me shake my head. 

"I need to put their souls at rest," I say softly, wiping the tears that managed to fall. Hunter looked at me with so much concern, making me feel different towards him. He nods, guiding me towards the Church. I take a deep breath, before pushing myself inside. 

I gasp, stumbling back and hitting into Hunter's hard chest. He rubs my shoulders, staring at their lifeless bodies with no emotion. I choked out a sob, covering my mouth as I stared at the Angels that were once breathing. Candles lit up the Church, dead Angels covering the floors.  "What were they doing here?" I manage to say, watching as Hunter clenches his jaw. 

"He rounded them up, knowing that we were going to come," He says, before punching the wall nearest to him. I flinch, staring in shock as the wall broke, brick coming out of the wall. Hunter sighs, running hands through his hair. "It was too easy, way too easy." He mutters, rubbing his jaw. 

He straightens up, "And that filth, Damien, is their new King? Fucking traitors," He spat, avoiding my eyes. 

I shake my head, "Why are they following Damien? He isn't even a King..." I trail off, watching as he growls with anger. 

"I am the King, the only King!" He pauses, sighing with defeat, looking at me with those eyes. Silence engulfs the air, making me avert my gaze from him. He slowly walks towards me, lifting my chin up to meet his soft blue eyes. 

"Since I am bonded with you, they think I am a traitor," He pauses, his face inches away from mine. We were so close, it made my heart flutter from his touch. His dark hair fell over his forehead, bending down to my ear. 

"They want you dead,"