27

Harper

The ballroom was luxurious. Three massive diamond chandeliers hanged from the white ceiling, tables lining against the gold walls with expensive foods. The floor was a polished gold, with circular dining tables leaning towards the back of the long, wide ballroom. It took my breath away. 

My arm was linked with Hunter's, his body close to mine, my waist practically pinned to his hip. As we entered the ballroom through the double golden doors, all the attention was towards us, their lips parted with shock. I looked over at Hunter, who didn't seem affected by having all the attention on us. I guess he was used to it. It made me slightly uncomfortable that everyone in this enormous room was Demons, and were very respected by the Demon community. 

I gulped, Hunter tugging on my arm slightly for me to start moving. I avoided their stares, walking towards the table at the back. Hunter immediately leaves me, chatting with a group of men in tuxedos. I stand there awkwardly until a small hand taps my shoulder. I spin around, my eyes wide and alert. 

"I didn't mean to give you a fright,"

My eyes land on a girl, smiling at me with her painted red lips. Her blonde hair falls off her shoulders, her green eyes sparkling at me. She wore a red dress, that reached the floor and had no straps. She was pretty. 

I forced a smile, "Uh- it's not a problem," I say softly. 

She smirks, "Are you, Harper?" Her eyes light up with excitement, staring at me up and down. I crossed my arms, feeling a bit wary. 

"Yes, I am. How did you know my name?" I ask, my brows raising. 

"Well, how would I not? You're bonded with our King! Everyone is talking about you," She whispers the last bit, and I sigh with relief. Thank god she wasn't a stalker. I nod, pulling a loose strand that fell. 

She suddenly frowns, "How rude of me! I'm Alyssa," She introduces, making me smile. We talk for a while about my family, what I used to do before Hunter took me. She seemed interested as if she was my best friend. She told me about how Hunter looked happier since I came into his life, which made me feel a sudden feeling in my stomach. But, Hunter hadn't come up to see me in the ball at all, as if he was avoiding me. He looked over a few times, before talking in hushed voices with different Demons. 

Alyssa laughs to herself, sipping her glass of champagne between her painted fingers. I chuckled as well as she talked about the time she fell in front of her crush. She went to a Demon school. Her pink lips suddenly frown, looking behind me. "Is that... Hunter?" 

I turn around, my hand gripping the side of the expensive, leather dining chair. My jaw drops, looking between Hunter who had a young brunette flirting with him. He sipped his glass of wine, chuckling as the brunette giggled with him. I squint my eyes, what a dick! I turn back around before he caught me looking, "What an asshole," I mutter, slapping my napkin on the table. 

"What is he even doing with her?" I say, watching as Alyssa smiles sadly, rubbing my arm. 

"Would you like to dance?" A voice interrupts, making my head snap upwards. I stare in shock at the young Demon male, his black hair slicked back, making his hazel brown eyes pop. He was handsome, no doubt. I smile, glancing at the hand he held out for me to take. I glanced over at Hunter for a brief second, taken back as his piercing blue eyes were boring into mine. The brunette next to him tried desperately to gather his attention, but his focus was on me. 

I swallow the lump in my throat, not looking away from Hunter's memorizing eyes. He cautiously sipped his glass of wine, flicking his eyes to the young demon who was holding out his hand for me to take. I knew if I danced with this young man, Hunter would kill me and him. But I remembered Hunter flirting with the brunette, making my lips twist in a smirk.

I tear my eyes away from Hunter's, smiling up at the young demon.

I slip my hand into his.