09| Ziba

0 9

Z i b a 

(adj.) beautiful.

☆☆☆

Things we lose have a way of coming back to us in the end. If not always in the way we expect.

– Luna Lovegood

☆☆☆

Albus was relentless.

He was non-stop bugging Rose about Scorpius – Rose and Scorpius sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-NG – no Rose, you don't poke me with your wand! – and every time Rose would see Scorpius scuttle to his Muggle Arts class, Albus would always grin and wink at her, before pointing his wand at her and little hearts would flutter all around her.

It was annoying, to say the least.

It was routine for Albus to send kissy lips at Rose before every Potions class, chuckling at her as he said Scorpius' partner next class, don't make it too obvious, and Rose would always jinx him right after with the flick of her wand. Rose was so, so grateful that Scorpius never noticed any of this – which she found oddly strange – but even if he did notice it, he didn't show it.

Scorpius Malfoy was the definition of magic.

It was strange, because Rose byhearted every spell, memorized every incantation, understood all the hexes, differentiated between all the jinxes, and yet, Scorpius was the one thing – the one wonder – she couldn't figure out. She didn't know why either – she's been his best friend all her life – but even then, Scorpius was a miracle that wizarding books couldn't explain, and that wizards and witches couldn't draw conclusions of – Rose knew that now.

Before every Potions class, Scorpius would always point his wand at Rose, before murmuring his spell with a pencil-soft smile on his face, and watching as a flower blossomed right at the crook of her ear. Some days, he would go the extra mile and make a whole flower crown bloom around her head, and Scorpius would always stare at her as though she was the sun.

Albus, of course, noticed everything.

He would chuckle right in the face of his cousin while Scorpius wasn't looking, and even though Albus was across the room, he would still manage to charm doodle hearts and send it flying right in Rose's face. She would retaliate by jinxing paper birds and send them picking at Albus' ears, to which the black-haired boy would screech in pain amidst Professor Slughorn explaining the last bits of the Strengthening Potion.

"Okay, so after that bit of disruption from Mr. Potter, today we will be taking a new Potion," Professor Slughorn said, the chalks behind him levitating in the air and already writing on the blackboard. "It's called – Amortentia."

Rose instantly felt Scorpius stiffen beside her, and when she looked over to him, his cheeks were red. She honestly couldn't help but laugh quietly into the sleeve of her robe, and that caught Scorpius' attention because he glanced at her. The smile he sent her was shy, tinged with bashfulness, and Rose grinned at him.

"I'm presuming you know the potion, then?"

Scorpius nodded his head bashfully, biting his bottom lip. "I read about it in the summer," he said quietly, and he interlocked their fingers underneath the table. He then placed their hands on his knee. "It's interesting."

"It is," Rose replied, giving their locked fingers a squeeze. "But it is a pain to make, Merlin's Beard –"

Scorpius chuckled at that, and he gave her a quick kiss to her cheek. Rose could barely concentrate on what Professor Slughorn was saying when Scorpius' eyes gleamed baby blue. "We'll manage, as we always do."