chapter ²⁰

❝ A Scorpio's motto: the only peoplethey owe their loyalty to are the ones whonever make them question theirs ❞

A Scorpio's motto: the only people
they owe their loyalty to are the ones who
never make them question theirs

❝ A Scorpio's motto: the only peoplethey owe their loyalty to are the ones whonever make them question theirs ❞

THERE WASN'T A CLOUD in the sky as the funeral neared. It was actually the perfect summer day, but it would have to be spent indoors.

Regulus had a weird way of doing things. Instead of the sad, solemn funerals that were the norm, people here threw massive parties to celebrate the lives of the dead. No crying, no grieving, no black dress code.

Instead, there were gallons of wine to go around, as well as loud, festive music and an abundance of zesty food. Everyone was supposed to wear their best suits and dresses. And this time, I ensured that I looked my best so I could make Mars and his family proud to call me one of their own.

Steph, one of Mars's younger sisters, let me borrow a cocktail dress she wasn't wearing. It was bright red and tight around the stomach but gorgeous nonetheless. She also lent me a pair of red heels and curled my brown hair in a classic Leo style.

When I walked down the stairs to greet the arriving guests, Mars couldn't stop staring at me. He didn't say anything until I reached the bottom of the staircase.

"You look nice." He finally managed to say.

"Thanks, you do, too."

"Are you blind?" Steph shouted from behind me. "She looks a million times better than just nice!"

"Thanks, Steph." I smiled.

The rest of Mars's family and I waited in the open foyer. After everyone arrived, Diamonique made a toast to her husband Quintus, whose ostentatious urn rested infront of an exquisite portrait decorated by an elaborate frame. After the ceremony, the family usually decided what they wanted to do with the ashes.

"I thank the stars everyday that they matched me to such a perfect husband, a perfect father, and a perfect man," Diamonique wiped her eyes and smudged her glitter eyeshadow as she continued, "I only hope that we can meet again." She raised her wine glass and struggled to keep her voice calm. "To Quintus of House Leo, the biggest star in the sky!"