chapter ³⁹

❝ Onlyinthedarknesscanyouseethestars ❞

Only
in
the
darkness
can
you
see
the
stars

❝ Onlyinthedarknesscanyouseethestars ❞

SO THIS WAS WHAT IT felt like to die.

It was strange. There wasn't a word that could describe it.

Everything was nothing and nothing was everything. It was like my soul had left my body and was surrendered to exist in a void of endless space.

Why was I here? What was my purpose?

A flood of memories hit me like a bullet train all at once. Those striking hazel eyes, those warm private smiles, those soft seductive whispers.

I knew him.

Cade. His name was Cade. The boy who fished me out of that river and made me feel what it was like to be loved. Not because he was alone and looking for somebody to fill his heart, but because he only wanted me. To be wanted was the only thing that mattered.

Where was he?

I was searching for him but he kept evaporating like mist. Once my hand moved to touch his, he disappeared and I'd have to find him again.

We were rotating around each other like planets on the opposite sides of the universe. We could never be together but we couldn't live without the other.

A sooty, charred smell filled my nose.

Something was burning. . .

The hungry flames brushed against my toes but felt like a million needles sinking deep into my skin, right to the bone.

The oracle was a liar; the pill to suppress the pain did absolutely nothing. My brain must've attempted to block out the pain by sending me into a transient unconsciousness. Newsflash brain, I was still being burned alive.

It wasn't long before either of us started screaming and begging for a quick death. I fought against the rope even though I knew it wouldn't help.

A second seemed like an eternity.