Chapter 7: Good Offence is the best Defence

Thanks MyWiFiSucks15-7-5 for making this lovely fanart/cover for my book!

So now, moving on with the story!
___________

Rosalyn's POV

"How severe was the headache?" Amber asked.

"It felt like every blood vessel in my head was exploding! My nose started bleeding. I couldn't see. I couldn't feel." Warm tears rushed down my cheeks as I sniffed.

"That's not possible... I have been teaching you just the right amount of magic, unless... Have you been doing it at school?"

"... Maybe?" I bit my lower lip with guilt.

"Rose, you have to understand that magic isn't something to be messed with. Our world, doesn't always work the way we want it to."

"I-- I understand. I'm sorry."

"Magic won't harm you unless you know your boundaries. Practising skills not suited to your attunement can even kill you!" She yelled in frustration.

"What kind of magic are you talking about?"

She let out a sigh before speaking up, "Black magic, the darkest form of magic known to us witches."

"Can every witch perform black magic?"

"Essentially yes, but only if we are in dire need to exercise it. Only blood-attuned half witches have the ability to practise black magic without adversely affecting them in turn. They have the innate ability to control all biological forms on the planet, and even create modified and at times, evil-minded creatures."

"You mean they can mutate the supernatural world?" She nodded. "Doesn't that mean they the real enemies, in the wider aspect?"

"Blood-attuned witches are too rare. In fact, all the third tier elemental witches are barely found in the world," She held my hand, "but that's not what concerns me, Rose. It is your safety that worries me the most. You are my responsibility now. Promise me that you are never doing magic at school ever again."

"I promise."

She nodded, "As you have exhausted yourself by doing magic, I can teach you only a few spells as of tonight. Come with me," she motioned towards the hidden doorway, as we walked into the secret room. "I want you to throw a fireball at me," Amber positioned herself in a defence stance.

"Wait, are you sure?"

"Yeah, send it already!"

"Fine." I shrugged, positioning my hands on top of one another with a large gap in between, the size of a ball. I felt the air between my palms warm up. Concentrating on the warmth surrounding my body, I sucked it in, focusing on my magical core, "Sphaera Ignis." A blazing ball of fire formed in between my palms, the flames emitting a honey-yellow hue, "percutiens," I hurled the fireball in Amber's direction.