Ch.6

(HARRY'S POV)

I got up early the next morning, wanting to visit Emma before I chickened out. As I stepped into the shower, I felt a searing pain on the inside of my arm. I totally forgot about the permanent ink that was now marked on my bicep. Yesterday, after realizing that I needed to tell Emma my true feelings sooner or later, I decided to get something that showed her how I felt towards her.

I got a tattoo.

Once I was dressed and ready to go, I slipped out of my flat and walked to my car. On my way to the hospital, I decided to make a pit stop. I ran into the flower shop and grabbed a bouquet of pink roses. I went to the register, which was being worked by an old, kind looking man.

"Pink roses? You sure?" he asked as I got out my wallet.

I nodded my head, suddenly uncertain about my choice. "Yeah… why?"

The man studied my face. "You are about to confess your adoration to your significant other, correct?"

I felt my cheeks turn the same color as the roses. "How'd you know?"

He chuckled. "I've been in this business for a long time. Pink says friendship, red says something more."

I took his advice and quickly grabbed a bundle of the most vibrant red roses I had ever seen.

The man nodded in approval. "That's more like it."

After paying and running back to my car, the hospital finally came into view. I dashed through the doors, signed in, and speed-walked to Emma's room. I knew that if I didn't do it soon, I would become too scared. The moment I made it to her door, I pushed it open.

Before I even had the chance to look at her, I said it. "Emma, we need to talk."

Once the simple sentence was out of my mouth, I looked at Emma, who was currently sitting on the couch next to the window. I carefully gazed at her, and could tell that something wasn't right. She looked the same as she always had, but there was something about her that was different. Her shiny blonde hair was silky as ever, her plump red lips were the same shade, her pale white skin still glowed against the fluorescent lights. But when I looked into her eyes, something was missing. They were still the same bright blue, and yet they were a tad duller. She still looked perfect, but something in her eyes told me that she was changing. Even if just a bit, she was becoming weaker, more tired. I knew what it was from. The tiny monster inside of her- the cancer that was eating through her body. A lot of times, I had forgotten that she was sick, because she acted like the happiest, most carefree girl in the world. Unfortunately, I could tell that was going to change.

"What?" Emma said, wondering why I had been staring at her for longer than I had realized. 

I snapped myself out of it and tried to act normal. I just had to tell her, I couldn't hold it in any longer.