Fidelia's Punishment

"Fidelia is sure they were being followed?" Edmund asked. William noticed Edmund's jaw working furiously as he sat in the chair opposite in the library. He had arrived the same time that the party started, having received William's note.

William nodded, pursing his lips. "She seemed certain, and I trust her."

"Someone who has taken an unhealthy fancy?" Edmund quickly downed his second glass of port. It was a little early in the day for that, William thought . . . but then again, they had both been feeling the strain of undercover work the last four weeks, and this news about Fidelia and Lottie's pursuer was quite unnerving.

"Or someone who followed them from America," William said, clenching his hands into fists. Le Coquin was dangerous in any cir­cumstance, but add to that an obsession for Lottie and wounded pride that Fidelia had stolen her away? "But we have been so careful . . . None of our sources have reported anyone from America in Bath." He smoothed the crushed note out flat on the small table between their chairs. "There's this as well."

Edmund read the note several times and his face paled. "LG. . . For Lady Greyville?"

William tilted his head to the side, no longer sure. "That had been my initial thought. I haven't shown it to Fidelia yet. Perhaps she would have a better idea about the meaning of this."

"Could it be that someone is targeting you through her? It could stand for 'Lord Greyville.'" Edmund poured another glass, and William resisted the urge to tell his friend to slow down. Edmund continued, "You are a wealthy lord, after all. You have your share of domestic en­emies that would not be above hurting your wife."

The thought sent a chill down William's spine, and he roughly ran a hand through his long hair. Could he be putting Fidelia in danger? He got to his feet and paced across the lavish rug. "I must stay close beside her. Perhaps that will be enough of a deterrent."

"It wasn't before. What if there's another accident? You can't protect her from everything," Edmund said as he stood. "There is a further matter to consider. Those letters that we retrieved on our trip, or at least what remained of them, had the names of several prominent members of the British upper class that secretly serve as spies for the Council of War. Who can say that your name wasn't on that list as well? Perhaps this has nothing to do with Le Coquin or your money, but entirely to do with you and your position as a spy."

"You make an excellent point, Edmund." William ran a hand over his face and paused to look in the direction of the sitting room where the ladies were taking their tea. If his secret were known to his enemies, France and America could send their own spies after him. They could use his wife to get to him. "If so . . . how do I protect her?"

"You can't." Edmund joined him and together they peered out the door toward the sitting room. The green of Fidelia's skirt was just vis­ible in their line of sight. "If she remains, she won't be safe. Too many potential enemies reside here in the city."

"What do I do?" William was beginning to feel desperate. "She's far too stubborn. She will not go if I ask her to . . . She will demand to remain here."

"Send her with me to a northern county far away from here. I will keep her safe," Edmund said, his voice full of intensity.

***

Fidelia sat across from Miss Thorpe, eyeing her with a forced smile as Miss Thorpe rambled on about ribbons or some other nonsense. Fidelia's mind was focused on the wicked surprise that she had hidden in the bodice of her dress—the only logical place, since her dress was devoid of pockets.

"Miss Thorpe, were you not promised to Lord Greyville?" asked a spinster of a woman, perhaps twenty-six or so, from beside Fidelia.

The question instantly drew Fidelia's attention, and it appeared to do so for everyone else in the relatively large gathering of a dozen women.