To Keep You Safe

They rode in the back of the wagon all through the night and well into the next day until William transferred them to a car­riage. They traveled for another day, not even pausing to stay the night at an inn. Fidelia kept a protective arm around her sister as the girl slept, not allowing herself the same luxury. She needed all her wits about her as William whisked them away to some unknown des­tination. As the sun set on the third day, Fidelia finally succumbed to exhaustion.

They only stopped to trade out the horses and the only food the two sisters had received was periodic bundles of bread and cheese that Edmund passed to them through the window. When the carriage fi­nally did stop four days after they had departed Bath, Fidelia's muscles protested from the cramped quarters.

The door swung open and Fidelia winced at the sudden light and freezing air. Snow drifted down in lazy clumps, gathering in William's unkempt hair and catching on the lashes that framed his eyes, which were dark from lack of sleep. She realized with a wrenching feeling that he must not have slept much the last several days, either. Had she driven him away so much that he would rather travel days without rest just to rid himself of her?

A mixture of exhaustion and hurt brought tears to her eyes, but she choked them back. She ignored William's offer to help her down and limped past him. The moment her feet touched the ground, her knees buckled from lack of use. William caught her before she could collapse into the gathering snow, and Fidelia engraved into her memory the feel of his arms around her.

"Where are we?" She looked up at the gray-stoned cottage that rose above them, snow collecting in piles on the eaves and windowsills. It was small but appeared well-kept.

"Your new home," was all William said. He walked ahead of them as Edmund helped Lottie out of the carriage. Fidelia looked longingly after her husband, and then back at her sister. If she shoved down her stubborn pride, she could beg him to change his mind and ensure Lot­tie's safety. The girl was shivering, clutching Puppy to her chest.

Lottie's expression of fear made up Fidelia's mind. She could not allow William to leave them here, alone and without defense beyond her father's pistol. She charged after him, her feet freezing in the wet snow that soaked her thin cloth house-boots. Pain flared in her ankle and she regretted that she hadn't brought her cane.

He opened the cottage door and held it wide, waiting for her. For a moment, she imagined that this was their cottage, far away from the ton, the countess, and the war that always called him away. They could live out their days together here, happy and in love. She quickly shook the thought away. She needed to act fast if she were to save her sister from this banishment.

"William," she said, drawing close to him. He stared at her, his face lined with exhaustion. "I-I'm so sor—"

"I purchased this cottage under a false name. None of the neigh­bors know of your connection to me. They believe you are recently orphaned daughters of a merchant. I have stocked the cottage with enough supplies to get you through the winter."

"Where are we?" she asked again, looking around from the center of the room. Someone had started a fire in the hearth before their ar­rival and the heat made her toes prickle. The sitting room was barely big enough for a small settee and a wobbly-looking writing desk posi­tioned before the window. To the right of the door were two bedrooms and another door that Fidelia guessed led into the kitchen.

"On the outskirts of Bamburgh in Northumberland, near the sea. This is a small, quiet village. No one of importance ever comes here, and the great house on the hill sits empty. You finally have your wish."

"And what wish is that?" Fidelia looked up at him, searching his face desperately. Was he staying?

"To be far away from me."