{23rd of June - e.c}

i stared with my mouth opened at the two elders in front of me, both gushing about how they managed to be part of the orchestra for this year's symphony night. ray said he had never been first violin and he finally got the chance now, while brett said he got the role as the concertmaster and is feeling very proud of his status. as the two beamed on, i was green with envy.

"i am finally acknowledged by my teacher! yes! all that long hours of constant practice and weeks of not sleeping a wink paid off at last! i'm so proud of myself!"

"i'm better, i'm the concertmaster! finally for once i can be under the shimmering spotlight and people can finally recognize me! man i'm too hyper to even speak!"

as the two bragged on, the feeling of jealousy rosed higher. i'm envious as hell! i wish i could land a spot at the orchestra for this year's symphony night too. moreover, i could only dream of performing alongside brett, moreover watch him perform. i bit my lower lip, fighting the urge to let loose my desires and jealousy.

"our teacher couldn't bother telling us who's the soloist though" sighed ray as he nibbled on his sandwich disappointedly. "she says that they haven't decided on someone, but they kind of have their eyes on a soloist already." upon hearing that, brett also sighed in unison.

"i hope it's someone i'm familiar of, that'll help a lot in case i get anxiety from trying to interact with someone i do not know of."

"haha, you're always like this." ray laughed as he gave brett's shoulder a light knock, urging a laugh to creep up onto brett's lips. as i watched the two of them chuckle, my mind forms an image of me playing the violin in front of brett.

_

luck was on my side.

i got called over to my teacher.

"eddy chen?"
"yes it's me."
"good, i've some great news for you. i think you'll love it."

she tells me that she had been noticing my progress on my theory and my practicals, and had been impressed by my playing. at this point, i thought she called me to tell me my progress in school, until she handed me a flyer of this year's symphony night and gave me her brightest smile. i was confused until i opened it to see a full schedule of the practices of the orchestra, and the concertos that they were going to perform, as well as the date of the night and all other preparation timings that needed to be noticed. the little details like concert attire were also written down.

my heart was racing.

"...what does this mean?"
"we've decided that you can give it a shot given in the amount of passion you have in playing the violin. you got a role in the orchestra for this year!"

what?

"and not just any role, you're the soloist for the orchestra! congratulations! as your teacher, im proud the music department allows you to showcase your extraordinary playing skills to the mass audience attending!"

is this for real?

i, eddy chen, has his wishes granted in less than a day's time!

"remember, you must keep this a secret! the rehearsals are going to start in a weeks time. practice the piece well, and impress us all at the fourth practice when you join the orchestra for rehearsals. once again, congratulations!"

at this point,
i wasn't even listening to half of what she was saying, as my thoughts had wandered off to

bright lights,
wide center stage,
beautiful classical music,
rows of people and
his smile.