E

TRIGGER WARNING
- Graphic death scene

~~

The next morning, I'm awake by 8am and the smells of breakfast instantly hit my nose. Yoongi has me pulled into his side as soft snores escape his lips. I stretch, sliding away from Yoongi and standing. The man sleeps like a rock so nothing will wake him easily. I pull my robe over my body while sliding on my Crocs. Quietly leaving the guest room, I follow the scent to the kitchen where my grandfather is cooking.

"Good morning." I say softly, smiling as I walk further into the kitchen.

"Hey, good morning." He returns the smile, flipping over the bacon in the skillet. "How did you sleep last night?"

"Pretty good. Feels good being here, where I'm familiar."

"That means you need to-"

"Come home often. Yes, I know."

He chuckles at me, reaching over to the cabinet that houses the mugs. He hands one to me and I thank him. I go over to the coffee machine, pouring me some of the hot liquid into the mug. I add my sugar and cream, making sure I'm able to taste the diabetes in the drink.

He scoffs in humor, turning his attention back to what he's cooking. "Some things never change."

"We only age, Pawpaw." I smile.

"Did you tell your man about your parents last night?"

I shake my head, taking a sip of my coffee. "No. Once our heads hit those pillows, it was lights out. Our flight in was long."

He nods, putting the bacon on paper towel for the grease to drain out. "So you're going to tell him on the way, then."

"Yeah."

"The whole story?"

"The censored parts. When I've told him my job, then I'll tell him everything. As in the real reason I moved to South Korea."

I walk over by my granfather, taking a piece of bacon off the plate and stuffing it in my mouth. The crispy meat crunches in my mouth and I hum in satisfaction. Being with my grandfather brings back nostalgia. There was nothing I loved more than his cooking. I peep at everything he has out on the counter and figure he's making bacon, eggs, French toast, and grits. Yoongi is in for a treat when he wakes up.

I take a seat at the kitchen table, watching as my granddad maneuvers around the kitchen, softly singing to himself a gospel song that I quietly start singing with him. We gradually increase our sound and before I know it, we're perfectly harmonizing to a Fred Hammond song. I can't help but to smile brightly. My heart is so full and warm with the interactions we're having. Being away from him for so long has been hard, but given the circumstances, it had to be done.

The floor creaks and I turn to see Yoongi standing in the doorway, eyes squinted as he scratches his head. I rise from my seat and meet Yoongi with a kiss on the cheek. "Good morning, baby."

"Good morning. What time is it?"

"Like, almost 9."

Yoongi shakes his head. "Too early."

"Your body doesn't get jet lagged, I see. It's almost 10 at night in Korea." I chuckle.

"I have to adjust to get my sleep right."

"Of course."

Yoongi walks into the kitchen, greeting my grandfather with a quick bow. He takes a seat at the table and I get him a coffee to sip while breakfast is being finished. We all eat peacefully, making small conversation while we do so. After the meal, Yoongi and I get cleaned up and prepare to leave.