Chapter 4

Walking towards the couches I notice Xander is wearing a navy blue dress shirt that is somewhat buttoned. Below he is wearing slim black pants and black boots. His hair is swept loosely to one side. It's always unique to see him outside of work whenever I attend these openings with him.

"Hey, Natalia I'm glad you came." He says gesturing me to sit on the couch next to him.

"Thanks and who are all these people?" I ask politely while I sit down.

"Over here we have Reggie the club manager and his assistant." He says pointing to the young gentlemen in the corner speaking to one another. "And over there we have the San Francisco Times and her photographer." He waves towards the right where a blonde woman and man stand looking like they are trying to get their things together.

"Well, I think the turn out for the club is much larger than anticipated. The line was wrapped around the block when I came in." I say.

He nods in agreement. "Yeah, It's going to be a successful night." He confidently says.

The journalists and the photographer head towards Xander to start their interview. They begin asking a few questions and take a few photos for their article. While there isn't much for me to do during his interview, I ask for a glass of red wine from a server nearby. Moments later, as I'm going through my drink I noticed that the journalist and the photographer leaving. Xander soon joins me on the couch.

"The club is about to open do you want to join me downstairs for the ceremony?" He asks and I nod in agreement. We both head towards the main hallway where we are greeted with a crowd of photographers wanting to get a photo of Xander. Once the ribbon cutting and brief speech is taken care of, the photographers leave. Seconds later the club is open to the public and groups of people arrive ordering drinks left and right.

"Do you want to get some drinks at the bar?" He asks in my direction. At first, I'm taken off guard as we rarely get drinks at openings and the times we do it's for appearance.

"Yeah, that would be great," I answer back. Drinks with Xander is a rare opportunity that I might not get.

We head towards the bar and sit at two available seats facing away from the dance floor. While we settle down into our seats Xander orders two glasses of their red wine. The club atmosphere is still buzzing with many people ordering drinks and dancing to the loud club atmosphere. Xander leans closer to me to talk over the music.

"You look pretty tonight." He compliments and his words send warmth through my body.

"Thanks, and you don't look so bad yourself." I smile as I tuck a loose strand of hair away from my face. I rarely get compliments from any guy let alone Xander.

He chuckles, "I had doubts that you wouldn't come." He says.

"Yeah, I'm glad I did," I say in agreement. I usually don't go to club openings because Xander usually takes his wife to those functions but I guess for tonight she didn't want to show up.

Our drinks are set down in front of us and I take a sip from the glass. I noticed the taste of this red wine versus the other one I left upstairs, it's completely different. Knowing Xander he must have ordered their finest red wine just because he can.

"I feel like I missed you all-day Friday because of my stupid meetings." He says after taking a drink from his glass.

"I guess you can say that but I was also busy," I comment back.

"Good thing I'm making it up to you." He smirks and my pulse quickens.

Three hours later, I have slowly been sipping 2 and a half glasses of wine and Xander is on his 4th drink. We are still sitting at the bar laughing and talking about anything at this point.