Chapter 28

I'm frozen in place when I see Olivia. I see she is dressed in a black miniskirt, a white top that shows off most of her midriff, a red blazer hanging over her shoulders, and red stilettos. Her blonde hair is tied up in a high ponytail. She has a full face of makeup but under her eyes, I can tell she has been crying because her mascara is running down her cheeks. I can see she is looking me up and down and I feel myself instinctively cross my arms over my swollen belly.

"So the rumors are true, you are pregnant." She says stating the obvious.

"O-Olivia, what are you doing here?" My voice is shaky but I have to know why she came here.

"I could ask you the same question," Olivia says and continues to speak, "Do you know how embarrassing it is to hear rumors that my husband knocked up his former assistant?" I don't say anything because I'm taken aback by her question. "No, you don't. Surely, you couldn't keep your legs closed! Could you? Oh and my dear husband just a week ago served me with divorce papers." At this point, she's laughing without humor, "I didn't believe any of this, but all the proof is right in front of me." She says pointing to my stomach.

"Olivia, please let me explain-" I say as calmly as I can manage but I'm cut off when she speaks.

"-No you had more than enough time to explain. It's because of you that Xander left me!" She screams and soon I see Olivia walk towards me. 

"Olivia, please let me explain. Xander and I-" Just as I speak I feel a slap on my cheek from Olivia's hands. 

"You bitch!" She screams and she starts pulling my hair. I keep myself from falling while I keep one arm protecting my stomach. I keep telling her to stop and get her hands off of me but all Olivia sees is red. A moment later I feel her hand push me to the back and I feel myself slam into the wall. At the same time, I feel my breath knocked from my chest and a sharp pain that reaches from my back to my abdomen. I scream. Through my pain, I see on the floor a mixture of liquids below my feet. Just as I take in what I see, I can hear the front door open and I look up to see Xander.

"What the hell? Olivia! Why the fuck are you here?" He asks in anger. I can feel the searing pain hit me through my spine.

"Xander!" I say trying to grab his attention and I can see him examine me. 

"Olivia, you need to leave! Natalia, what do you need?" I try to keep my eyes open but the pain around me is the only thing from keeping me from speaking.

"I...I need to go to the hospital...the baby..." I say while I try to breathe. Xander is able to understand my urgency and he scoops me up in his arms and carries me to his car. I feel my eyes grow heavy but I can hear in the distance Xander telling me to keep my eyes open. I try to keep them open until I'm rushed into the hospital and put in a hospital bed. That's when my vision blurs and my eyes shut. 

As much as I try to move my body and open my eyes I have no strength to do it. I can assume my body is numb. I feel nothing happening but I can hear people talking in the distance. The only thing I can hear them say is that I'm 10 centimeters dilated and that my baby is coming out. The weird thing is that I don't feel anything physically coming out of me but I can sense my baby's presence somewhere but I don't get the chance to hear her cry because whatever the doctors gave me I fall back into a state of unconsciousness.

When I wake up I see that I'm lying in a hospital bed. I look next down to see Xander's hand around mine and when I look up I see him sitting next to me slumped over asleep. I can assume it's been some time since he left because he's starting to have a shadow around his chin and still wearing the same clothes from the day I got admitted here. I gently squeeze his hand to wake him up and I see his eyes open.

"Natalia, I'm happy you're awake." He says sleepily.

"What happened? All I remember is leaving the penthouse. Also where's our baby?" I touch my stomach and I can feel empty inside.

"They said they sedated you and they took our baby to another room. The doctor hasn't come by since yesterday. Only a nurse comes by to check up on you." My eyes grow wide. I've been out for a day! 

"I can't believe I've been out that long," I say. A second later a nurse enters my room to check on me. 

"Good you're awake the doctor will see you soon." She says. I nod and wait while Xander fills me in on what I missed. They said he was asked to stay in the waiting area because I was in a critical condition. I felt mad that he wasn't allowed to stay with me in the operating room. As soon as he told me this the doctor enters my room. Unfortunately, it's not Dr. Blanchard this time it's a slightly older doctor with short black hair.

"Hello, Ms. Fuller I'm Dr. Bell I'm sorry your doctor was out." She explains. 

"Do you know where our baby is?" I ask. I don't care what happened to me because all of my attention is knowing that our daughter is safe.

"Right! Well, it seemed when you were admitted you were already in labor. When I operated on you it seemed there were some complications when we got you went into delivery." I swallow hard while I feel Xander hold my hands.

"What do you mean by complications?" I have high hopes that everything went well. As far as I can remember I felt my daughter leave me. 

"When your baby was delivered, she wasn't breathing so we sent her to the ward immediately." Dr. Bell says.

"What happened to her? Has her breathing gotten better?" My heart beats faster than it has been.

"An hour later she didn't make it." She says and I immediately let myself cry as Xander holds me together in his arms. My only child died and it's all my fault. I lost her.