Chapter 31

"Billionaire, Xander Reed has just been spotted at another nightclub in downtown last night. According to clubgoers, he has been kicked out and was seen as very intoxicated. This is the eighth club he has been kicked out in the past two months. Recently he has been spiraling out of control by leaving each nightclub drunk or bruised. Rumors have been surfacing from other sources that Xander was involved in a long term affair with his former assistant and many speculate she could be the cause of his change of lifestyle. Meanwhile, Reed's Real Estate is slowly declining as well as Reed's Industries. Each day it is reported that investors are slowly cutting ties with the company. We can hope that Xander pulls himself out of this phase otherwise the notable billionaire could lose everything."

I turn off the television. It has been two months since I left Xander and I've been watching him fall apart. Almost every news or entertainment outlet I've been watching Xander go to clubs, get drunk, get into fights, and get kicked out. His appearance has changed drastically his hair is getting longer, he hasn't shaved and has been slowly losing his muscles.

Trina has told me that Xander visits her almost every day asking for any updates even though he would be bruised or hungover. I've been told he always asks Trina on my whereabouts but she has been keeping it confidential since I asked her. While she kept him up to date Trina would keep me up to date on how Xander is.

After I made the deal with Olivia's father I have felt guilty every day since I left him in all of this chaos but I had to do it for him. When I tried thinking of a place to stay Trina offered the apartment we shared because my old bedroom was still vacant. I thanked her but I told her that Xander would find me there. She then asked her mother if I can stay with her which Trina's mother agreed to let me stay for as long as I want. I thanked them both and promised I wouldn't be a burden and Trina said it was no problem because I was practically family to them. Trina's mother's house was in Napa Valley. The house is a vineyard because her mother owns her own winery business ever since Trina's father left the family. I was happy to be staying and help her mother run the business as well as running my own from a distance.

It's nearly October and there isn't much happening at the vineyard because the grapes are barely ripening. Much of my free time is keeping busy by going on runs around the vineyard. I've noticed a difference in my figure since I've started running because my post-pregnant belly is no longer visible and most of my clothing fits me. Even if I keep busy I still find myself thinking about him because it's hard to forget him. Xander was an unforgettable person. Just as I take a quick shower after my run I hear my phone ring. I look to see who it is and notice that it's Trina calling.

"Hey, Trina! What's up" I ask.

"Can you turn on the television?" She asks but I hear the urgency in her voice.

"Why? What's wrong?" I ask in confusion.

"Just turn on the news you need to see this." Trina urges. I do what she asks and I turn on the news while I continue staying on the phone with Trina.

"Breaking News! Around this late afternoon, we have been told that the CEO of Reed's Real Estate and Reed Industries, Xander Reed, has been admitted into the hospital after a severe car accident on the freeway. Witnesses say that the car that rammed into Mr. Reed this afternoon was going over the speed limit and Mr. Reed's car was pushed into a truck as this happened. The car behind him supposedly sped off according to eyewitnesses. The condition of Mr. Reed's car is in terrible shape but the state of Mr. Reed himself is yet to be updated. For more coverage and further updates-"

I turn the television off and I'm in a state of shock.

"Natalia! Are you still there?" Trina asks and I take a moment to collect myself before I speak.

"Y-Yeah I'm still here," I say while I feel my eyes begin to water.

"Did you watch it?" She asks.

"Yes. I-I need to go to him. Is it possible if you can find the hospital he was admitted into?" I ask while I wipe away my tears. I have to go to him and know that he is going to be okay. He has to be okay.

"Of course! I'll send them to you." She promises.

"Thanks! I'll text you when I leave." I say and we hang up. My mind is in disarray I try to stay hopeful that Xander will recover. He has to stay alive because I can't hold myself together unless he is alive. Please, Xander! Please wait for me!

I quickly pack a few things before I leave the house. I also let Trina's mother know why I'm suddenly taking off and she says she understands but to promise her that I call if I need anything. I thank her and I take my leave.

It feels like forever when I reach the hospital which isn't good when all I can do is worry about him. Most of the news stations mention that he is in critical condition and knowing this just makes my heart race. Getting inside the hospital is a challenge because every news outlet with their cameras is waiting by the entrance. When I come into view I see the cameras and reporters start asking me questions while they take pictures of me. I slowly make my way through the crowd while I ignore their comments and questions. When I'm finally inside I head straight towards the front desk.

"Hi, I'm wanting to know where Xander Reed's room is?" I ask the nurse who is behind the desk.

"Do you have any relation to the patient?" The nurse asks.

"I'm his...assistant," I say because I don't think Xander and I established any titles in our relationship.

"I'm sorry miss but because this is a hospital we don't give out any patient information and we only allow immediate family members." She says and just when I'm about to insist she gives me his room number I hear a familiar voice nearby.

"Good! I'm glad to see you made it here," Olivia says and I turn to look at her. The once polished Olivia is for once dressed down this time which is unusual for her standards. I look at her in confusion.

"Olivia? What-" Before I ask Olivia takes my hand and leads through the corridor of rooms. "Where are we going?" I ask.

"You're here to see Xander so I'm taking you to him." She states plainly.

"Why are you helping me?" I ask but she ignores my question yet again. Typical. Soon Olivia stops in front of a waiting room.

"Look I need to explain a few things to you," Olivia says while she looks at me.

"Okay," I say slowly. I don't know why she has anything to explain and at the same time, I don't know why she helped me back there. I don't have much energy left but I will allow myself to hear what she has to say.