Chapter 29

I don't remember much what happened that day when I was given the news of our daughter. I don't remember what happened when I left the hospital. I did remember apologizing to Xander multiple times but he kept saying it wasn't my fault and that it was Olivia's fault. He was so angry at her that he had pressed charges against her for that day she came into the penthouse. 

The following day Xander locked our daughter's room because it was too painful to walk outside our room and see the door open to the vacant nursery. I guess this was the time we bid our daughter, Carena, farewell. I stopped crying around this time because I had no more tears to shed. I was still heartbroken as for Xander he was growing more distant with me. When we sleep, he doesn't wrap his arms around me like before. I felt more guilty because I was the one who lost his second child.

As the weeks went on I decided to take a break from work because I wasn't prepared for all of the questions when I came back from my maternity leave. I couldn't tell anyone except, Trina, I decided to tell her around the second week. I had her come over one day, she asked me about the baby just as I thought she would. I told her what happened that day, She cried then I cried about it again because it was harder to tell someone because I was reliving it. She hugged me and said if I needed anything that I should let her know. I thanked her and the following week I went to Alizah's house to tell her the news.

 When I got to Alizah's house I promised myself that I wouldn't cry. That almost lasted until Alizah asked to see her niece that's when I cried. She kept trying to soothe me until I told her what had happened. When I did, she told me that she felt sorry for both of us and that she was upset that Olivia was the cause of the baby's death. I then told her what I felt after everything that had happened and how her brother was coping. I said I was worried about him the most but she said to not worry too much about him because he's still grieving. She had told me once when he lost his first child that he acted the same way. I felt helpless when it came to Xander being this way.

Visiting Alizah I still felt the same but I knew I had to tell her because she is a friend and the closest family member Xander has. When I get back to the penthouse it's only 2 o'clock and Xander won't be home till 6. I decide to let myself read in the library but a knock at the door stops me from going. I look through the peephole and see a well-dressed man in a grey business suit. He has blonde hair with little bits of grey streaks and a small beard. I open the door out of curiosity.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Hello, are you Natalia Fuller?" He asks. 

"Yes? Who are you?" How does this man know my name? Or where I live?

"I'm Alastair Castelle, Olivia's father." It takes me a minute for me to say anything. 

"Oh! Do you need to see Xander? He's not coming back for a few hours." I can't believe Olivia's father is here!

"No, I'm actually here to see you, Ms. Fuller. Is it possible that I can come in?" He asks. 

"Yes, please call me Natalia," I say as I let him inside the penthouse and lead him towards the living room area. Mr. Catelle sits at the couch and I sit in one of the chairs across from him.

"Well, Natalia I wanted to come and talk to you. I want to first say how ashamed I am of my daughter Olivia had done to you." He says and continues, "I can see what Olivia was thinking when she did what she did. I know you must feel upset but she acted out of action and she feels guilty about it."

"Mr. Castelle-" I begin.

"Please call me Alastair." He says.

"Alastair, I'm sorry for being forward with you but I do not see how she feels guilty about what she did," I confess. I can still remember when Olivia slammed me into the wall which keeps running on repeat in my mind.

"Trust me, Olivia is guilty of what she did." Alastair insists.

"Okay so why are you telling me all of this?" I ask. He hasn't really explained why he is here.

"I want to talk to you about Xander." He says.

"Okay, what about him?" I'm starting to think he is taking forever to explain himself.

"I want to be more forward over what I want to ask you to do. Please don't take it too personally, but I want you to leave Xander and drop the charges against Olivia." I'm confused as to his reasoning for this request.

"What?" I ask.

"Look, I think you realize the position Xander is in when it comes to divorce with Olivia." He says and I nod in understanding. "What you don't realize is that Xander can lose a large portion of his business and financial stability. This divorce doesn't just affect Xander, it also affects his family's reputation. Surely you haven't thought about it?" He is sort of right. I knew from the start when I came into his life that I could ruin his public image but I didn't think about his family. 

"You're right I haven't thought of it," I admit.

"Exactly! If he goes through with the divorce and loses then he and his family's name will be looked down upon. Also, Xander will have a reason to doubt his decision with this divorce. Do you want that to happen?" I honestly don't want Xander to lose everything he has and I don't want his family to suffer this mistake.

"Then what do I do if I don't want this to happen?" I think and ask aloud.

"Then I suggest you leave him and move on with your life. All I ask is that drop the charges against Olivia." Alastair says. Before I accept his request I think back to all the times Xander was stressing over the divorce. I feel guilty for putting him through it because I must have burdened him with all of this worry. I don't want to be the one who made him lose everything because I decided to stay. I should let him go and move on. 

"Okay! I'll do what you say just as long as you don't mention our conversation to anyone." I say.

"Thank you! You have done a great deal for this family." Alastair says before shaking my hand and heads towards the front door but before he leaves he says, "I don't have a set time limit for you to leave but I hope you do it sooner than later."

"Don't worry! Everything will be done soon." I promise and he shuts the door behind him. I take a deep breath and decide that today I'll get everything done. It's barely 3 o'clock which means I have a lot to do in less than a few hours. 

I grab my suitcases and backpack and begin packing. Afterward, I call the police station so I can recant my statement and drop the charges against Olivia. This all takes me about an hour and a half to do because I didn't have a lot to pack. The last thing I have left is to find where I'll be staying in the meantime but before I have time to think I hear my phone ring and I find Trina calling me.