Chapter 38

It took me a while to recover from his proposal. The ring is simple and small. It has a rounded diamond at the center of the ring with smaller diamonds around a gold band. I love the ring because it's not flashy and it isn't big. While I continue talking to Xander I can't help but notice he is holding something back.

"What?" He asks noticing my sudden silence.

"Nothing," I say.

"Natalia." He begins and I sigh.

"Xander you seem a little distracted. Is it about Alistar?" I ask.

"No, it's not that it's just...," He pauses before he could say more, "Can you promise me that you won't get worked up after I tell you something?" He asks and I nod.

"Yes, I promise," I can't promise how I'll react but I want to know what he is holding back.

"Our daughter is alive." He says after a minute of silence.

"What?" I ask. How is it possible?

"I know! I was also shocked." He admits.

"How?" I ask.

"Alistar had faked her death and sold her off to a couple making them believe he was an adoption agent. The past few days he held her captive until I gave him money but she's fine now and Alistar was captured." He says and I want to ask how she was rescued but I think Xander doesn't want to say anything further.

"Where is she?" I ask. I want to see her. 

"She's here in the hospital getting looked after but she's beautiful Natalia." He says and a part of me is a little jealous that he got to see her and I haven't. 

Xander lets me rest soon after the nurses check my wound. Apparently, the bullet was nearly inches from my heart but I was lucky I was only wounded. I didn't feel lucky because I had yet to see my daughter. Moments after the nurses checked on me I started to feel my eyes grow heavy but I fought the sleep because I needed to stay awake in case they brought my daughter.

"Go to sleep Natalia, I'll wake you up if I hear anything." He promises and I rest my head back into my pillow.

What feels like hours later I feel a hand gently shake me.

"Natalia?" I hear Xander ask. I slowly open my eyes.

"What's going on?" I ask sleepily.

"The nurses say they're transferring her to your room." He says and it takes me a moment to remember that he is referring to our daughter. Seconds later I see two nurses walk in my room and wheel in a small hospital bassinet.

"Mr. Reed and Ms. Fuller I believe someone is here to see you." One of the nurses says while moving my daughter closer towards my bed. Inside the little bassinet, I see her. She has the same chestnut hair like mine but some of her features like her ears and nose were the same as her fathers. 

"Can I hold her?" I ask the nurses.

"Yes, just be careful with her IV." The nurse cautions as she gently moves my daughter in her arms. She's so tiny that I'm afraid I would break her but I know it's not possible. 

"She's beautiful," I mumble to myself.

"Just like her mother." I hear Xander say next to me and I smile. My daughter is only 3 months old and I feel like I missed so much of her life. I can only hope the worse will happen to Alistar because he took away our daughter for his own selfish reasons. I just hope my daughter knows who her parents are because this is the first time I'm holding her since her birth. 

"We'll be leaving your daughter here till you both recover." The nurse that handed her to me says.

"Before you leave can I ask what happened?" She has an IV running up her small wrist and it makes me weep inside when I see it.